The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Leather Saddle Cleaning - What Do You Use? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/leather-saddle-cleaning-what-do-you-136532/)

Centaurheart 09-03-2012 02:43 AM

Leather Saddle Cleaning - What Do You Use?

Every time I clean my saddles I use a good quality soap but they always get dingy looking right after. I use Lexol Leather Cleaner and scrub down the saddle getting all the dirt out. However, a day or two later they look horrible. Sure the mold/mildew/dirt goes... but it looks dull and lifeless.

So my question is... what is your system to clean your saddles and what products do you use? Should I be oiling my leather etc after cleaning? What in the world am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

SouthernTrails 09-03-2012 07:55 AM

After Cleaning a Saddle with Saddle Soap or Similar it is important to get moisture back into the leather.

Depending on the color of the leather, I use Neetsfoot oil or the Non-Darkening kind, let each coat soak in overnight, do not let it dry in the sun.

As a top coat after that I love Aussie Leather Conditioner, really protects the leather.

Centaurheart 09-04-2012 12:05 AM

Thank you so much. I want my stuff to look nice and last as long as possible. Neetsfoot oil and aussie leather conditioner! Got it.

*hugs*

JustWingIt 09-04-2012 12:25 AM

For my leather I first scrub with lexol, then I use Passier Lederbalsam. I absolutely LOVE it! It conditions and softens all kinds of leather, and makes it look really nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Centaurheart 09-04-2012 03:07 AM

Thanks for the tip! I wanted to really ask folks here before I spent a ton on stuff that I don't like or doesn't work. :)

equiniphile 09-04-2012 06:56 AM

Horseman's One Step, will never use anything else. I clean after every ride with this and a wet sponge, and never oil it unless it really needs it, like the Toulouse I recently bought.

boots 09-04-2012 07:14 AM

I clean with traditional saddle soap and condition with neatsfoot or extra virgin olive oil.

goneriding 09-04-2012 07:14 AM

Ray Holes saddle butter, love it!

MHFoundation Quarters 09-04-2012 07:46 AM

Good ol' fiebing's saddle soap & neatsfoot oil.
Posted via Mobile Device