The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with English saddling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-english-saddling-136567/)

Foxtail Ranch 09-03-2012 01:41 PM

Help with English saddling

I am not an English rider. I do like my English saddle, however. But I have trouble with attaching the girth because of the elastic. Pulling it up tight enough while pulling down the straps is so difficult! Is there a strategy for doing this? I would appreciate any help!
Posted via Mobile Device

kenda 09-03-2012 01:50 PM

How many holes up are you on the already attached side? If you're having trouble getting your girth to even get close to the straps and you're on the last hole or two on the other side, I would suggest you need a slightly longer girth.

If that's not the case I would put the other side of the girth on the lowest hole, then do up the elastic side to the lowest hole, and then adjust from there.

tinyliny 09-03-2012 01:56 PM

get a dressage saddle. much easier to put on.

JUst kidding. that isn't very helpful, but I have trouble doing up an English girth if the horse is very tall, and appreciate how easy it is to do up a dressage girth.

Speed Racer 09-03-2012 01:56 PM

Sounds like maybe your girth is too short. It shouldn't be that difficult to strap up, especially if you have elastic on both ends of the girth. Love my double elastic ended girths!

Foxtail Ranch 09-03-2012 02:48 PM

How is a dressage girth different, TL? (I'm clueless as u can see)
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-03-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffanyodonnell (Post 1669967)
How is a dressage girth different, TL? (I'm clueless as u can see)
Posted via Mobile Device

You'd have to get the whole setup, not just the girth. Dressage saddles have very long billet straps, and they use very short girths.

Foxtail Ranch 09-03-2012 02:52 PM

And thanks Kenda and Speed. I think u r right that it is a size of girth issue. My horse is not too tall but definitely loses her patience as I struggle. Ur help is very appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

unclearthur 09-03-2012 03:20 PM

There's two things about single-ended elastic girths
(i) Only pull them up as tight as a non-elastic girth (three fingers should slide easily underneath). They're VERY easy to overtighten.
(ii) Swop the girth around regularly. It gives you good practice in adjusting a girth on both sides and more importantly helps keep the saddle panel even (the elastic allows slightly more flex one side than the other). Or, as someone else said, get a double elastic girth - but then you need to check the elastic regularly or buy an overgirth...Grrr :)

Foxtail Ranch 09-03-2012 11:27 PM

Thanks! I will try the two things you suggest. I can see where elastic on each end of the girth has multiple benefits.
Posted via Mobile Device