The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my ad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-ad-136600/)

paintluver 09-03-2012 06:05 PM

Critique my ad?

I know it is just a give away ad, but I would like to find a good home for my mare. Is there anything I can ad or delete?
Free horse needs home!

riccil0ve 09-03-2012 06:21 PM

What you have written;

Quote:

I have an 8 y/o QH mare for give away. Demi is one of the sweetest mares I have dealt with. She is a super sweet mare. She loves to be fussed over and played with. The only problem is that Demi is NOT ride able or able to support the weight of a foal. She has arthritis of the cannon bone. She needs a home where she will be someone's pasture buddy. She is never in a stall with me because she does better if she can move all the time.
Please if you are looking for a beautiful horse for a pasture buddy don't hesitate to call or email me. I would like her to find a great home A.S.A.P. More pics upon request.
My edits in red;

Quote:

I have an 8 y/o QH mare free to good home. Demi is one of the sweetest mares I have dealt with. No vices. Stands for farrier and vet work, easy to catch. She loves to be fussed over and played with. The only problem is that Demi is NOT ride able or able to support the weight of a foal. She has arthritis of the cannon bone. She needs a home where she will be someone's pasture buddy/ornament ONLY. She is never in a stall with me because she does better if she can move all the time. Please, if you are looking for a beautiful pasture buddy/ornament don't hesitate to call or email me. I would like her to find a great home A.S.A.P. More pictures upon request.
I would only touch on her having no vices and such if it's true. I assume they are, but just wanted to clarify. Even pasture ornaments need to be safe and easy to handle for maintenance. Good luck finding a home for your mare!

EthanQ 09-03-2012 06:22 PM

Lovely looking mare, but I personally don't think Craigslist is the BEST place to advertise her without her ending up at a killer lot. I would advertise on a more civilized (?) website like DreamHorse or Equine.com. I also would just advertise at local barns and arenas or rescues or ask your friends...since the need for a pasture buddy isn't in very high demand. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

maura 09-04-2012 07:11 AM

I'm not sure what "arthritis of the canon bone" is, and that might put me off right there. I don't have a problem with advertising a horse as a companion animal or pasture puff, but I would be very specific as to WHY she can't be ridden or bred in the ad. A good prospective home will want to know the specifics of her dagnosis so they'll know what to expect in terms of maintenance and long term prognosis.

I agree that posting this on Craigslist will get you a certain type of response, and that you might be better off using horse specific sites and word of mouth to find her a good home.

paintluver 09-04-2012 06:17 PM

Thank you very much. I have also had her advertised on Horsetopia, and Dream horse for about a month, but I was thinking about posting another one.

maura 09-05-2012 06:12 AM

FYI, "arthritis" means inflammation of a joint.

You can't have arthritis in a bone. So a horse can have arthritic hocks, stifles, knees or ankles, and can even have arthritis between P2 and P3, but they can't have arthritis in a bone not associated with a joint.

It would be like saying a person has arthritis of the shin or forearm.