The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cowboy Mounted Shooting (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/)
-   -   Best guns used for Womens mounted shooting? (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/best-guns-used-womens-mounted-shooting-136607/)

Ambrose 09-03-2012 07:02 PM

Best guns used for Womens mounted shooting?

There are the 5 I have heard of.

Cimarron
Colt
Uberti
Taylors & Co
Rugar

I wish I could try them all to test it out but I am wanted a 3 1/2 barrel shooter with a smooth trigger! Any recommendations?

Allison Finch 09-03-2012 07:20 PM

I love my Rugers. I think they hold up better than the Colt and Colt clones.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_2839.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_2840.jpg

BTW, I added the pewter grips, myself.

Ambrose 09-03-2012 07:30 PM

Wow these are awesome! good to hear an opinion who has tried the rugars and colts! I tried one of the rugars.. starts with a V. And they were real nice and felt nicer after the trigger was worked on to make it smoother.

Joe4d 09-03-2012 08:10 PM

uve listed manufacturers, each of which have lots of different models, the birdshead grips tend to fit smaller hands, something like this from Uberti,
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/image...ion_owd_lg.jpg
The Remingtons were said to be better for smaller hands I imagine the Remington clones by Uberti the 1875 and 1890 would serve you well and be something different. I bought 1858 remingtons with conversion cylinders. Also check out the Schofield clones, the top breaks.

Pretty sure taylors and cimmerrons are just reflagged Uberti's, SO checking out the Uberti catalog will get you whats available.
I wouldnt consider a colt, too expensive and not as durable as the Rugers. The Rugers are by far the sturdiest if your hands are big enough to work them.

If you want something cool and unique, go for the birdshead, schofields or Remingtons, Or even cap and ball revolvers with conversion cylinders.

If you want a durable shooter get the Ruger.

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-03-2012 08:12 PM

Those grips are gorgeous, Allison Finch! I'm not a handgun person so can't add anything more useful, but just wanted to drool over that metalwork ;-)

nrhareiner 09-03-2012 08:14 PM

What I am finding is that there is little differance between any of the guns. I have tried the both of the Rugers. I like the Vaquaro but I do not like the hammer. I have the Cimarron and so fare I like them. What you will find as what I have been finding. Just about every singer shooter changes grips and has the gun worked on for triger pull and ballancing the cylider. So get the one that fits your gudget and that you like the base modle.

I will say this. There the big differance between the Ruger and the Cimerron and Uberti is the fireing pen. The Ruger has a floting pin with a transfer bar. The Cimerron has a changable Fireing pin on the hammer. Which I have mixed feelings about. However it is the gun used by a lot of CMSA champions.

The Uberti I do not at all like how the fireing pin is set up the hammer. You really get what you pay for. It is the lowest cost of all the guns. However for about an extra $50-$100 you can get a Cimerron or Ruger for a bit more. Again what ever you get you will most likely have it modifided in some way. I will say that I do like the Cimerron stock grips a lot lot better then the Ruger stock grips.

bsms 09-04-2012 12:01 AM

"Now comes what I consider the best feature of the New Vaquero: the grip frame. On this new sixgun, Ruger has returned to the much adored shape and size of the original XR3 grip, which was first used on the 1851 Colt Navy revolver. I have always preferred the original XR3 grip to the XR3-RED (redesigned) grip that was introduced in 1962. To my hand, no Ruger points and handles like the beloved old Flattops that had the XR3 grip frame. Now, the New Vaquero returns to that same shape and feel of the originals."
The link includes a review of cylinder size, etc between some Rugers and the Colt SAA.

Ruger’s New Vaquero Single Action Revolver

More info on the Ruger grips here:

Ruger SA Grip Frames - 1953 to Present

I'm not wild & crazy about the New Vaquero hammer. I like a thicker grip personally, but you really need to hold the gun and decide for yourself. My son-in-law is 4-5" taller and has hands that dwarf mine, but he prefers a smaller grip.

You can do a search here and get lots of opinions on a variety of guns...but it really boils down to what feels good to YOU:

Handguns: Revolvers - THR

I'll add that I usually end up sanding down my handgun grips to make them fit MY hand...usually taking some wood off of the bottom right side.

RhinestoneCowgirl03 09-11-2012 12:43 AM

Which guns have the least 'kick'. My dad's got some pistols and I can't shoot for crap with them cause they make my hand flop. And I have shotgun bruises right now (not that that makes a difference).

nrhareiner 09-11-2012 09:41 AM

Keep in mind that it is not the gun but the ammo. CMS is all blanks with Black Powder. So there is no kick like with live ammo.

RhinestoneCowgirl03 09-11-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 1679233)
Keep in mind that it is not the gun but the ammo. CMS is all blanks with Black Powder. So there is no kick like with live ammo.

Good point...I've never shot with anything but live ammo, so I'm semi clueless!:oops: