The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation is the Question Through a QH breeders eyes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-question-through-qh-breeders-eyes-136633/)

Aestival Morgans 09-03-2012 11:32 PM

Conformation is the Question Through a QH breeders eyes

2 Attachment(s)
I uploaded two photos one of my Black Stud that is 15.2 hands and one of a brown mare I have that is 15.1 hands. I know my requirements of what I am looking for when it comes to conformation, but I want to know more about the quarter horse breed. I have tried to talk to people locally, about conformation, but to no avail (I don't think they know quite what they are looking for). And I have done a ton of internet reading about quarter horse conformation. I want an honest and ADULT conversation about this. I know when breed to breed conversations arise some feelings can get in the way of honesty and reality. So critique away as if there were two quarters at a sale you were bidding on. Oh and he bites cows like a border collie. Sorry had to throw that in there.

tinyliny 09-03-2012 11:37 PM

So, did you say these two are Morgans? I am supposing that from your avatar name.

tinyliny 09-03-2012 11:43 PM

well, I cannot critique them as if the are QH's. I just can't.

I actually like the mare's confo better than the studs. Her shoulder is really big and angles so nicely, her hocks are low and of a good bone/body size ratio. her front legs have nice short canon bones , but the right front , now that I look closely, might be a tiny bit behind at the knee. I mean tiny. the pastern has a slightly odd angle. maybe it's her front heels; they look kind of high. Does she have a clubbed left front?

Anyway, both horses look to be very nicely built, but I prefer the mare.

Aestival Morgans 09-04-2012 12:02 AM

No she isn't club footed. That picture was taken shortly after we purchased her and they were growing heel and tow out. She is out of a world champion park stallion, so the farm we bought her from was shoeing her that way. Or might be its the way she is standing. Yes they are Morgans I wasn't trying to be sneaky about that or if I was I really sucked. If you wanted a bigger pic of her http://www.aestivalmorgans.com/Photo...imetoShine.jpg they have size restrictions on here for photo sizing.

Thanks for the opinion and looking for me.

tinyliny 09-04-2012 12:10 AM

Ok.
Why would you want someone to critique them as if they were QH's?
I dont get that logic. Sorry.

I guess, if i had eyes only for qH's I'd say that their front legs are too long, they don't have big enough hips, a bit pigeon brested on the mare, too long of a neck and set too high. you'll struggle to get a good WP gait and headset out of that mare.

Delfina 09-04-2012 12:43 AM

I don't get it.... I've owned QH's, my boarders are QH's and I own a Morgan right now and it would be like comparing apples and oranges. They're completely different, not just in their build but in attitude and personality.

My Morgan is the same height as a QH I have boarded with me (both very well bred) and there is zero doubt as to what tack and things go to which horse. I could stuff 2 of my Morgan in the QH's halter, her blanky would look like a tent on him and his girth is probably 12" smaller. Morgans tend to have a more refined head and a finer build while a QH is stockier.

With Grace 09-04-2012 02:19 AM

So you want a critique of your Morgans but as if they were QH? Not sure I understand.

I really like the mare, but I see an English Pleasure or Hunter pleasure type in her rather than WP. I like her long pasterns, but Im kind of biased though, since my Morgan is my Hunter Pleasure horse.

FlyGap 09-04-2012 03:11 AM

Welcome again AM!
Wow, those are two really nice horses! Your stud (to me) is jaw dropping. Personally I prefer him, what a powerhouse! I love his rounded croup, nice tail set, lovely short back, that neck is fantastic, great bone, just a great looking horse. He's closer to a QH's conformation than your mare's. I couldn't compare him to one though, too high neck/shoulder tie in, but wowzas!
How is he under saddle?

As far as your mare, she does have some lovely legs! Her neck is lovely, great shoulder, probably a smooth/athletic mover. However, I really don't care for her hind end. Too sharp, maybe a weak hip, probably just the photo. Nothing like a QH.

Better photos would help, how wide are they? The wider the closer to a QH, some morgans these days are just too narrow.

Either way give me a holler when you want to relieve yourself of these two! I'd gladly throw them in my pasture! (Especially your stud, gelded of course!)

FlyGap 09-04-2012 03:49 AM

Well, just checked out your site. Your mare is a very lovely mover!
I'd love to see a video of your stud, all I saw was the Grandsire's?

Jore 09-04-2012 08:53 AM

I think they just want an unbiased critique as they feel like if they were to ask the Morgan breeding community, they might get biased thoughts.. so I'm assuming they just want very honest opinions on them.