The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   2nd Guessing myself (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/2nd-guessing-myself-136657/)

Micki O 09-04-2012 06:50 AM

2nd Guessing myself

Kochese is a 42 yr old quarter horse morgan cross here at the sanctuary. Up until 3 months ago he was 1 of the easiest keepers here eating 3/4# TC Senior twice a day and the vet telling me he was too fat. He started loosing weight in June so I upped his feed. In July he developed diarriha, and now he barely comes out of his stall and is not drinking even a gallon of water a day. However eating 4# TC Senior twice a day now but its going straight threw him.

Kochese has been wormed regularly. The vet did blood work 2 months ago and everything was normal, we've had him on steriods, antibiotics and tried Bio Sponge for the loose bowels. There has been no change. He has dropped down to 975# from 1250#.

I call the vet last night and she is to come out at 3 today to put him down. I spent all night wondering if we have missed something or if its just that old age has caught up to this boy.

Taking him anywhere for more tests is not an option ~ 1 because of money and 2 because he is blind and doesn't trailer without major problems. Besides that I don't feel it would be fair to him to put him through all that at his age.

I have always believed a horse will tell you when they are done and he has showed me little signs. He didn't come searching for the source of butterscotch candies being opened last night. I had to go to him and after a couple he didn't demand more.

I know he is old and his system is shutting down for 1 reason or another. He is depressed and not enjoying life as much as he use to but I've had all night to think about my decision and now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

deserthorsewoman 09-04-2012 10:33 AM

It's all about quality of life. I'd talk to the vet what possibly could be wrong, if it was easily treatable or controllable and if it would involve prolonged stress and suffering without a serious chance of helping him I'd put him to rest. He had a very long life and at least his last years at the sanctuary were happy years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-04-2012 10:41 AM

He's 42 y/o, blind, and going downhill. I'd say his quality of life is pretty much nil at this point.

Animals do not fear death. They instinctively fight for survival, but when death comes it's just part of the natural cycle. Humans are the only species who truly fear death.

I don't know how long he's been with you, but you've obviously taken good care of him during that time. Now it's time to give him the last, best gift we can give our nonhuman companions; relief from his failing body.