The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Show Critique! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/show-critique-136705/)

IndiesaurusRex 09-04-2012 04:31 PM

Show Critique!

6 Attachment(s)
So, a few of you with awesome memories might remember a thread I created about a year ago of me with this same horse at our first show. So, a year on, here we are again! This is our second show, and bear in mind, he is a riding school horse, so does everything from taking complete beginners out on lead rein rides, to being ridden by fairly experienced people in schooling lessons.

So yes, tear us apart! For anyone interested, his name is Riddle (Jimmy Riddle on his passport, I don't know if any of you are educated in Cockney Rhyming Slang... :wink: ), he is of completely unknown breeding, but we believe he has some Clydesdale in him due to his broken splashes. Oh yeah, and he is 6/7 years old, and wearing a waterford snaffle.

PS. He is technically not mine, so try to stick to critiques of me! I suppose suggestions on my technique to improve his way of going are allowed.

horseluver2435 09-05-2012 06:41 PM

First, I want to say he is beautiful! Looks like you both had fun, which to me is the most important part of showing (and riding!). My only critique is to raise your hands a little- right now they look like they are resting on his withers, they need to be above them. Also, your feet are turned out a little far- looks like you are gripping with the back of your calf instead of the 'inside'? Wow, I'm terrible at explaining, so I'm going to stop, hopefully someone else can help. (: Keep riding & having fun!

EquineBovine 09-06-2012 12:18 AM

He is a VERY handsome chap and you're both turned out nicely! Just watch your hands don't get too low and it might just be me but 2nd photo looks like your stirrup could go up a notch? Could just be the angle thought :o)
Keep at it! :oD

Zeke 09-06-2012 01:01 AM

I agree with the comments that your hands are too low but also remember to keep those thumbs on top! I think of it as holding two ice cream cones sometimes. For some reason my gut is saying you need a bit more weight in that outside seat bone while cantering your circles, also be careful to brin the hand up (like towards your belt buckle) rather then down notice in pictures two and three that your inside hand, asking for the turn is coming very close to your thigh. Too much downward pressure can lead to a horse dropping the inside shoulder and not being as balanced as they could be.

Overall I love your turn out, he's gorgeous and looks fun to ride! I've always wanted to try rising a clyde or clyde x they just look so big and intimidating sometimes!
Posted via Mobile Device

Oxer 09-06-2012 02:21 AM

I love him. His canter is quite lovely. You both make a great team!

IndiesaurusRex 09-06-2012 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys!

I definitely see my hands being too low, I think I was focussing too much on trying to make him look decent and not focusing enough on ME looking good ;) And the toes, I never normally ride like that, I think it comes from "forcing" my heels because I'm worrying about not having them up.

About the stirrup, I think that may be due to the fact that his saddle slips to the right when he's ridden, due to his complete lack of wither and broad back/round belly ;) He normally wears a breastplate, but we figured we should leave it off for showing.

He is a complete dude!! He's only about 14.3/15hh, but he's so broad, he really takes up my leg (I'm 5'8"). I'll attach a picture from last year to show how much of a tank he is! :P

tinyliny 09-06-2012 02:54 PM

I saw exactly what the others saw, so that must make it accurate. you are doing really well. What place did you take?

IndiesaurusRex 09-06-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1673955)
I saw exactly what the others saw, so that must make it accurate. you are doing really well. What place did you take?

1st place in the cob class (:shock:) and 3rd in the Show Hunter Type 14.2 and over :-) I was superduper happy with him, bless him, he was very well behaved, he's just totally chilled when not in the classes and hanging with his buddies Woody and Jimbow.