The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Tennesee Walkers? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/tennesee-walkers-136709/)

Gaited4Life 09-04-2012 05:15 PM

Tennesee Walkers?

Any heavier riders that trail ride with Tennessee Walkers and Spotted saddle horses?

Joe4d 09-04-2012 05:54 PM

there are two types of trail riders in this world. Those on TN walkers, and those unfortunate individuals that simply just dont know any better. :)

Walkers are extremely popular trail horses for big people, especially big people with bad knees. Which tends to go hand in hand. Actually my knees would be fine if I was 40 lbs lighter. Be advised, The TWHBEA has done everything they can to ruin the breed, so the breed has kinda split into two different horses. The narrow bodied flashy show type, and the big stout old school plantation type. The big stout guys make great recreational trail horses.

Centaurheart 09-04-2012 09:31 PM

Ditto what Joe said. Go get you an old school twh and never look back. I rode a lot with friends that had twhs and my long strided saddlebred was the only other horse in the barn that could keep up.

phoebeeliza 09-05-2012 03:13 PM

I grew up riding at a TWH barn and fell in love. Someday I hope to be able to afford one of my own. There is nothing in the world like a Walker for long rides, and every one I met had the nicest temperament too. Though that might have been a trait of the particular line being bred at my barn, not a breed trait in general, I have no idea.

Joe4d 09-05-2012 08:58 PM

its a breed trait, most are pretty easy going. Lots of em for sale down south.

DixieDarlin 09-09-2012 02:55 PM

Walkers are the best! I've been fortunate to have had several over the years and I'll be getting another one soon :) Has anyone else has the experience of their Walker licking them like a dog? All of mine have had the habit.

autumn rain 09-14-2012 05:22 PM

I purchased my first TWH last year, and what a doll! Great temperament, gentle and willing but with some get up and go, if you want it. I am an adult rider, 59 years old and my beautiful mare is just the ticket for me. I'm not as thin as I used to be either, but she has a nice stocky build, and has no problems giving me a great ride.

SouthernTrails 09-14-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1671681)
The narrow bodied flashy show type, and the big stout old school plantation type. The big stout guys make great recreational trail horses.

Glad you pointed that out, the average off the shelf Gaited Saddle is made for the Foundation type, Bighorn is one of the few off the shelf makers that now has a Gaited Saddle for the Narrow types.

Gunnerssugarbar 11-11-2012 11:22 PM

I know this is an older thread... but wanted to respond. I went on a trail ride with mostly TWH or spotted saddlebreds and my fast paced QH could NOT keep up. I would some day like a TWH for trails when my little QH won't work but I'm actually kind of scared of them. I was thrown from a TWH mare when I was 10, and haven't quite gotten over that fear.

Shapes 11-12-2012 06:16 PM

I agree with Joe4d, I bought a spotted saddle horse and he is not a big horse. So now I am paying a trainer to muscle him and I am working on getting into shape to ride him. First time horse owner, so they saw me coming, but he is a really sweet boy!