The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique Dani - 6yo QH (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-dani-6yo-qh-136715/)

SketchyHorse 09-04-2012 06:26 PM

Critique Dani - 6yo QH

7 Attachment(s)
For my curiosity :D Just wondering what people think of her & how she's built etc. If they see any major conformation flaws with her (although I would have hoped to notice that myself...), etc.

Anyway, Dani is a 6yo AQH mare. Stands about 15hh. My grandpa swears she's gotten bigger, but I haven't actually measured her yet. She is HEAVILY Three Bars bred & Thoroughbred influenced towards the back of her lines (I recently found out she even traces back to Man O War twice!). She is used for Dressage.

If interested: Tuff Little Dani Quarter Horse

Sorry about the quality of some of the pictures. Not only were they taken on a cellphone, but I now notice I angled some on accident *headdesk* This is mostly just a curiosity what you can see quickly, like/don't like.

And yeah... I realize she has REALLY large ears. My farrier says that's from the TB in her...? I just think she's one of those horses cursed with big funny ears LOL.

lilruffian 09-04-2012 06:38 PM

She has a nice shoulder
Neck set isn't bad but it needs muscle, which is why it looks a bit long i think
Pasterns are long but otherwise her front legs look good
Back is long
I like her hindquarters
Back legs aren't bad. Possibly a little posty

EthanQ 09-04-2012 06:46 PM

Don't know about her conformation, but I DO know that that pink halter really makes her bay coloring and shading really pop! haha gorgeous little mare.

Elana 09-04-2012 09:53 PM

Back is long and she is butt high. I wish she were shorter coupled. She looks very young.. not at all like a 6 year old.. a bit light all over. She could use more bone. Her knees and hocks are nice and low. She stands base wide behind. She seems a bit hammer headed.

The photos are not that good. One thing that would help her a lot is a good trim. Her toes are very long.

SketchyHorse 09-04-2012 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1671716)
She has a nice shoulder
Neck set isn't bad but it needs muscle, which is why it looks a bit long i think
Pasterns are long but otherwise her front legs look good
Back is long
I like her hindquarters
Back legs aren't bad. Possibly a little posty

It really needs some muscling. Her neck looks like a little match stick it's so thin. We're working on that with Dressage, but it'll take time before she really starts to fill out. You can see some definition when she collects. Just not all there yet. And when you say posty what does that mean? Her wide stance in that one picture? That might have been my fault. She would stand really close so I tried to square her up again & then she'd stand super wide. I'll try for another picture again with someone else holding her.

Thanks EthanQ :D

o.O Her hooves just got trimmed like last week Elana... The closer shots I took at weird angles (extremely weird angles, the first one I'm actually angling down on - hence the long appearance of her hooves), but her hooves are actually quite short... Our farrier trims her on angles. Could the light bone be because of the strong TB influence in her lines? I realize it's relatively far back, but I would assume that would make for lighter built QHs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SketchyHorse (Post 1671705)
Sorry about the quality of some of the pictures. Not only were they taken on a cellphone, but I now notice I angled some on accident *headdesk* This is mostly just a curiosity what you can see quickly, like/don't like.

Picture is just to show the SLIGHT muscling in her neck >.> No riding crit please - I have an instructor for that.