The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my jumping please :D (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-jumping-please-d-136719/)

JessXxX 09-04-2012 08:10 PM

Critique my jumping please :D

This is me jumping today the pony is only 11.2hh shes a riding school pony I ride occasinally to spice things up a bit for her. I'm not too experienced in jumping I've had a few lessons but as my pony is very green and we have not started jumping yet I haven't really jumped in 2 years. I am in the UK I'm not sure iof this makes a difference but I know the styles can differ. The thngs I see from this photos is: I need to tuck my elbows in I have a case of chicken wings going on! I need to release more with more of a crest release? My toes are pointing out and not in. I know that you guys will probably be able to see a lot more things to improve on and things I do good to!

I was also wondering if you could give me tips on how you improve your jumping because it always seems that when I get to the jump I forget everything I need to improve on.

A huge thank you to anyone who replies :)

EDIT: I also have a video of this jump if anyone would like to see it aswell?

http://oi47.tinypic.com/10ye7sw.jpg

JessXxX 09-04-2012 09:39 PM

Heres another video still :)

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2ai2a36.jpg

Ashsunnyeventer 09-04-2012 09:50 PM

You need to release- grab some of the pony's mane to help you
Like you said- toes forward and elbows in (if you release more that might help the elbow problem) Other than that, just keep practicing as much as you can. Practice makes perfect :)
This jump isn't huge and the pony is still taking off, so it's kind of hard to say anything more :) Hope I helped...

EDIT: My trainer used to tell me "WHEELS" right before the jump to help.
W- wait (don't over jump)
H- hands (release)
E- eyes (look where you are going)
E- elbows (tuck 'em in)
L- Line up your toes (with where you are going)
S- sink into your heels

Just thinking "wheels, wheels, wheels" would help me over the jump. I don't know if this will help you, but it can't hurt to try :)

JessXxX 09-04-2012 09:52 PM

Thank you very much :) The only problem with grabbing her mane is it's hogged! haha she has sweet itch so they keep it hogged in the summer, I will definitely try next time I jump to reach forward onto her neck though, do you think the video might help to see more? :) Thanks again

The jump is only 1"6 but then again shes only 11.2 and I didn't want to push her as I am quite a lot bigger than her usual riders haha

Ashsunnyeventer 09-04-2012 09:59 PM

Yes please to the video :) and I thought she was bigger than that! She's so small!!

JessXxX 09-04-2012 10:07 PM

yep shes tiny! Just uploading the video now :)

JessXxX 09-04-2012 10:14 PM

Jumping Tilly - YouTube

I hope that works aha
It's not the best video in the world, sorry

Ashsunnyeventer 09-04-2012 10:25 PM

I think if you release, it will really help you. your arms will be forward which will allow your hips to move and your back will be straighter. Also, don't jump ahead of your horse. I originally thought you got left behind, but if you pause the video at 5 seconds you can see that you are in a jumping position in the takeoff. Then pause the video at 5 seconds again (a little after the takeoff- you jumped it fast!), and see that you are in a sitting position. pause at 6 seconds and see that you are a little behind the motion. I think you anticipated a big jump, and you got out of balance (jumping ahead and then getting bounced around in the landing and catching your pony in the mouth). Keep trying- what I did to stop jumping ahead was to point my horse at the jump and close my eyes. When he jumped he would push me out of the saddle into a jumping position. You need an honest horse for this though

JessXxX 09-04-2012 10:31 PM

Yeah I think I did to, see the jump before this she overjumped it by a mile and I got completely left behind and then with this jump I tried to over compensate for this but she jumped it at normal height, it's funny I didn't feel like we were going very fast at all when riding her but when I watch the video back she seems to be going a mile a minute! I really want to work on my position thanks so much for your help, the only worry I have with closing my eyes is then getting left behind? Will this happen?

Ashsunnyeventer 09-04-2012 10:54 PM

I'd say keep your hands in the mane, but she doesn't have one! Start with something low like a trotting pole and move it up as you get confident. Focus on feeling your balance and the horses balance. It's amazing how much you can fix like this...