The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Moxie's Urban Term of the Day (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/moxies-urban-term-day-13673/)

Moxie 08-20-2008 10:58 PM

Moxie's Urban Term of the Day

I thought this would be a fun thing to start. Feel free to add term's if you'd like, but please keep them respectful of other people's race, gender, religion and roots and keep away from swears. Yes I know that puts a damper on some things, but I'm sure we're all mature enough to have fun with out disrespecting people.. Other wise, try to keep terms inoffensive.

My first term, something I use often:

Oy vey:
Yiddish for "oh woe", a Jewish expression often of frustration, but also of excitement.

"It's only Tuesday? Oy vey!"[/u]

Salty_alydaR 08-21-2008 12:08 AM

ohh i know that one!

but i spell it my own way as oi vey :]]

claireauriga 08-21-2008 07:48 AM

Why is it 'urban'? o__O

The random phrases I tend to throw into my speech are often Welsh.

Diolch: dee-olch, with ch as in Bach or loch, this is Welsh for 'thanks'.
Os gwelwch yn dda: 'please' in Welsh; a comparable phrase to 's'il vous plait'. This one's quite complicated to pronounce:
os: somewhere between the sounds in 'on' and 'horse'. Make your mouth very round with your tongue low down.
gwelwch: gwel-ooch, with the same ch as before.
yn: un as in fun
dda: tha, rhyming with car, th as in this.

I know it doesn't look it, but Welsh is very easy to pronounce once you learn what its sounds are :)

Moxie 08-21-2008 10:15 AM

Couching Distance:
The distance one can reach without leaving the couch or sofa.

"Can you get the remote, I cant reach it, it's out of couching distance."

hotreddun 08-21-2008 01:15 PM

fugly - freaking ugly...as applies to something so ugly you make the stink face when you see it

which leads me to

stink face - the face you make when you see something fugly

:lol:

Gingerrrrr 08-21-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie
Couching Distance:
The distance one can reach without leaving the couch or sofa.

"Can you get the remote, I cant reach it, it's out of couching distance."

i love this one. hahahha :lol:

uhm i don't really know if its urban but alot of people say "yea thats mad cool" and thinks like that. to translate the sentence mad basically means super.

"Thats mad cool!"
"Thats super cool!"

Mike_Admin 08-21-2008 05:53 PM

I love "couching distance," too! I've never heard that before.

I used to work in a retail store and sometimes customers would come in and say "what happened?" when they missed something the owner was saying to them. When they left the owner would rant about how much he hated that expression - "what do you mean, 'what happened?' You were standing right there! The sky fell, that's what happened!"

Does that count as one? Wha' happened?

Vidaloco 08-21-2008 06:07 PM

Carbolepsy - When you eat so many carbohydrates that it puts you into nap mode. carbohydrate + narcolepsy (sleeping disorder) = carbolepsy
I didn't make this one up but use it frequently.

Goobernaught- kind of a goober astronaught as in the head is up in space somewhere. I did make this one up.

Vidaloco 08-21-2008 06:20 PM

POD- short for plan of the day My husband and I always ask whats your pod?
Not mine either something started at work
FOD- any trash that gets blown or thrown in the yard. also known as OPT or other peoples trash. It actually stands for Foriegn Object Debris.
another one from work that got carried home

Sissimut-icehestar 08-21-2008 07:14 PM

one that i say alot is; I donīt nenn it,kinda means that i donīt feel like doing something, or donīt want to or something in that area !
like right now iīm supposed to be doing my homework, but i donīt nenn it :lol:
oh, yeah, it comes from the word (að=to) nenna..