The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Are shoes only in the front okay? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/shoes-only-front-okay-136737/)

Puddintat 09-04-2012 10:09 PM

Are shoes only in the front okay?

My horse Dancer has had shoes on his front feet only for almost 18 months now. My BO keeps mentioning that he should have his backs done as well to keep him more balanced. Is there any truth to this? My farrier said he only needs shoes up front and in the winter we are going to try without shoes to see how he does.

poppy1356 09-04-2012 10:11 PM

Haha your farrier is right. Unless your barn owner is also a good farrier, don't take their advice for things you pay a professional for. My mare also only has fronts. Many do not need shoes in back for various reasons.

natisha 09-04-2012 10:12 PM

Listen to your farrier.:-)

My2Geldings 09-04-2012 10:16 PM

Absolutely it's ok to have shoes only in the front. It's also a lot safer to have shoes only in the front. As already posted by other posters, listen to your farrier first over anyone else. You will get professional help there.

FBody355 09-05-2012 10:09 AM

+1 for only front shoes. My gelding has no need for his backs to be done so he's only shod in the front.

Speed Racer 09-05-2012 10:13 AM

My TB is only shod in the front. Common practice, since horses carry most of their weight up front. Your BO is wrong; a good farrier can balance a horse correctly who only wears front shoes.

Sherian 09-05-2012 12:19 PM

It is a common practice in my experience. As Speed Racer said they carry most of there weight on the front so they take the most stress. Some barns also do not allow hind shoes on horses in group turnout. I personally have horses shod in front only and some all around depending on their hoof quality and job. If his feet are holding up well and he is good traction wise dont bother with hinds - save your money.

Puddintat 09-05-2012 04:26 PM

Thank you guys. I was pretty sure it was fine just wanted second opinions. :smile: