The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   New Pony! not sure what breed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/new-pony-not-sure-what-breed-136740/)

Librahorsegal 09-04-2012 11:49 PM

New Pony! not sure what breed

2 Attachment(s)
Theres a new pony at the barn. Not sure what breed he is. My trainer thinks he is a welsh/thoroughbred cross. she also thinks he has some morgan in him. when she got him from the old owner..they said hes a quarter horse.

what do you see?

sorry if the pics are big.

sommsama09 09-05-2012 12:09 AM

Wow i love him, I'm not an expert on breeds, but dont see QH..atleast not full anyway. Subbing to see what others think

Chevaux 09-05-2012 12:13 AM

I'm going to go with morgan/thoroughbred but no welsh and morgan/quarter horse may be a possibility as well.

sommsama09 09-05-2012 12:25 AM

How tall is he? That might help :smile:

PunksTank 09-05-2012 12:59 AM

Is he gaited? Could he be a rocky mountain? He reminds me alot of the old style morgans too. I don't see any QH/TB really. I really do think he looks alot like a rocky mountain horse the more I look into it. Check out the breed IDK much about them.

With Grace 09-05-2012 01:05 AM

I'm going to say Morgan/QH. He's got the Morgan neck, ears and the foundation Morgan hind. But, his shoulders to me look QH. I don't see Welsh at all.

Librahorsegal 09-05-2012 07:02 PM

Thank you for your answers.

I think my trainer said he was 14.2 14.3..

i have some pics of him trotting on the lunge line..and theres no high knee action. So i dont think hes gated.

Grace...i like how you said the pony has morgan ears,neck,and butt .. and qh shoulders..

how can he have qh shoulders

i will pass all of this infor to my trainer.

i wish there were dna tests for horses...like they have for dogs.. :)

Librahorsegal 09-05-2012 07:09 PM

what does the *Old Style* morgan look like?

With Grace 09-05-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librahorsegal (Post 1672893)
what does the *Old Style* morgan look like?

You sure you want to open that can of worms?:lol:

As simple as I can state it without ruffling feathers, the new "style" Morgan tends to look a little more like an Arab or even more Saddlebred. The "older" style is a little more "round" and less arab looking. I know that's pretty vague, but it's the easiest way to explain it.

Librahorsegal 09-05-2012 09:22 PM

Grace....
thank you for the infor. we've never had a morgan at the barn before. so i dont know anything about the breed. :(