The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Another Rides Pic's (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/another-rides-pics-136783/)

huntfishnride 09-05-2012 05:38 PM

Another Rides Pic's

7 Attachment(s)
Went on a good ride. Lot's of deer, doves, grouse, and cows. Bulls bugled all night long.

gunslinger 09-05-2012 06:37 PM

Looks quite nice.....elk already in rut?

Painted Horse 09-06-2012 10:36 AM

Mid September is always the approximate rut in Utah. Of course a good cold snap will push them in earlier and hot weather will delay that.

I didn't hear them bugling last week, but they are starting to bunch up and I was seeing bulls mixed with a few cows. Usually in the summer you see large groups of cows and the bulls are in bachlor herds.

huntfishnride 09-06-2012 11:28 AM

We saw mostly small bulls with the cows. The bigger bulls still haven't joined the cows and started pushing them out yet for the most part. We did see one real good bull in with cows but he was the exception.

My2Geldings 09-06-2012 06:57 PM

Those photos look amazing! looking forwards to seeing more!

huntfishnride 09-07-2012 03:05 PM

Went scouting this morning. Saw about 10 mature bulls. They were pushing the cows all over and bugling and fighting. Obviously the rut can be hot and cold, but this morning they were rutting pretty hard.

vera 09-07-2012 03:20 PM

I love going out an hearing the Elk Bugle. We filled a spike tag a couple of weekends ago. Now we just need one more!

Darrin 09-08-2012 12:54 AM

Two years ago I had one bugle practically in my ear. That's the closest I've been to one bugling and man did it raise the hair on me. Funny enough, my horse wasn't bothered at all but I'm sure he knew the bull was there all along. FYI, that bugger was not 20ft from me when he bugled.

Painted Horse 09-08-2012 01:35 AM

I've heard them bugle and cow called a return and had the bulls run right up to my horses. Even while we are stomping thru the timber, not being quiet at all. Bull got with 15 feet before he realized it was a horse and man. I don't hink he cared about the horse. But he wanted nothing to do with me.

Vera, You got one with a archery tag?

I had 9 riders out from South Carolina last weekend. They hauled their horses out to ride in the west for 3 weeks. It was their 7th year coming west. But their first trip to Utah. They told me after riding 5 days and almost 100 miles of trails, That this was their best trip ever. I'm sure some of the reason was that I was able to show them trails vs them just wandering across the mountain. They got to see several Moose, including a nice bull, several herds of elk including some nice 6 point bulls, and lots of mule deer. We truely live in a wonderful area to ride.

Darrin 09-08-2012 01:22 PM

I've been close to elk a lot, even split a herd once. That was the first time I've had one bugle so close to me.