The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   ~*~Wild Horses In the West To Be Euthanized??!!~*~ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/%7E%2A%7Ewild-horses-west-euthanized-%7E%2A%7E-13679/)

MemoryForStormy 08-21-2008 12:41 AM

~*~Wild Horses In the West To Be Euthanized??!!~*~

The BLM (Bureau of Land Management) decides a few years after the number of wild horses was at a dangerous low, they come to say the equines are overpopulating. So their proposal is to euthanize thousands of them.
I AM BEGGING, PLEASE SIGN OUR LETTER TO THE BLM ASKING CHANGE OF PLANS
As of its starting on July 7th, 2008 we have 529 signatures! But we need your help because this letter is being sent out the very last day of August.
DO YOUR PART AND PLEASE HELP US!

http://gopetition.com/petitions/save-wild-horses.html

Solon 08-21-2008 01:21 AM

Please do your research before you blindly start signing petitions. Even online ones.

The BLM isn't just mindlessly out to get rid of the horses. There is a serious lack of adoptions going on, lack of money coming into the program and you gotta have money to operate the horse program.

TxHorseMom 08-21-2008 02:38 AM

What is the BLM supposed to do with them? People don't have the money to take care of the overpopulation of domestic horses as it is. At least they will be "humanely euthenizing" them. It's not like they are sending them to slaughter.

MemoryForStormy 08-21-2008 05:48 PM

Slaughter has been approved as a method of humane euthnasia...unfortunately. I had a large horse protection group email me to tell me that. It was I think from the Veterinary Association (unsure what he called it)

Solon,
I do understand your point and yes, I thank you for poiting out not to sign just any old petition.
I am 15, and trying to make a difference and start off in life doing good things. The BLM has not made their decision yet, it will come in September, but I assure you this is not some rude things saying how horrid they are as a wild horse organization.
It simply is a letter asking they find another way to manage the situation. You never know, there may just be vets out there with a kind heart to geld a stallion free, or someone that hears a horse needs a home, and may take in more than that 1!

Please do not see what I am doing it as bad. I do not intend harm on anyone, I am simply trying to help keep wild horses and even other horses/burros as a wonderful part of our West, in fact, the United States.
I've been thanked, looked up to, written to multiple times, praised, all within the last two months of this. I assure you I never expected such wonderful feedback.
I went in not feet first, but all of me. I strived throughout this whole run to push myself and work my hardest. I expected no gratitude, just maybe a thought of changing plans by the BLM. But instead...

I recieved a miracle.
So if you sign this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and once mpore...I mean no harm.

Thanks so much!
-Cheyenne

Solon 08-21-2008 05:53 PM

My point is 1. you need to understand how budgets in state and federal agencies work, 2. you need to understand how management of animals work (carrying capacity of land vs. ALL the animals on it not just horses, and 3. there are too many people out there complaining about what the BLM does but they don't do anything to assist such as adopt a horse or contribute in any way other than to blast them without knowing anything about the above three factors.

There are too many horses.
There is not enough money to manage them due to budget cuts.
There is not enough people adopting horses because of the economy.

So, what are the solutions?

The horses shouldn't be allowed to starve. What is the alternative if people aren't adopting them and there isn't money coming in to manage them?

MemoryForStormy 08-21-2008 06:03 PM

As I said, I am trying my hardest to understand this situation. I am not against the BLM in fact I thank them for protecting horses as they have. I kindly wrote and asked was there any way to change plans. I am not even considering blasting them, because that anger does nothing to help, you need to be kind and respectful.

As far as what alternatives are avliable, just look at the signatures we have so far! There are multiple people saying they would be willing to adopt. There are tons of ideas.

Even if this is to no avail, at least the BLM will see there are many concerned people, and that even some hicktown, 15 year old tomboy like me can be an animal lover and that I am dedicated to helping out.
I even volunteer for my local humane society, it's all my parents would let me do but considering they just got budget cuts too and that 65% of their income comes from donations, it's worth it and I love it so far.

I also assure, if you are trying to bring me down I am strong and comitted. I love all animals, not just horses, so I am very concerned. And though young, I am intelligent and I do put everything into concern and I am not a selfish person.
But as I said, thak you for your opinion. I do not mean to seem rude, I am simply trying to help the horses. If I do seem rude the I apologize.

-Cheyenne

Solon 08-21-2008 06:06 PM

What will be more interesting is how many of those people who signed and said they would adopt actually follow through and do so.

I will guarantee you that most won't. And it's very sad.

It's not about bringing you down. It's about educating people on how state/federal government works.

Do you have any solutions if adoptions don't increase?

What would be the alternative to putting the horses down?

MemoryForStormy 08-21-2008 06:32 PM

If adoptions don't increase, I have had several ideas pitched forth:
Many people say let them roam, but I know that would be hard.
Some say they should be left alone and not even monitored, and that the elements and normal WILD situations would keep their numbers not as high.

I will post all the responses (I will edit them to make it more understandable and not their words) ASAP and let you know, deal?
I am on your side, as far as its so hard to find another option especially in these money-tight times.

Thanks so much,
-Cheyenne

Solon 08-21-2008 06:57 PM

Keep in mind, a lot of these 'wild' horses are acutally feral, not true wild mustangs and that's why there isn't a lot of support from the public.

MemoryForStormy 08-21-2008 07:00 PM

Yes, I keep that in mind. Especially when I've heard and researched them bringing in Arab stallions to the herds and realeasing them to prevent inbreeding. But I am unsure so I dont point that out alot.

But, a horse is a horse and a horse is an animal and animals are living creatures. And living creatures all deserve some form of humane treatment and respect (unless they deserve the disrespect)