The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   is he a true black? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/he-true-black-136800/)

tab14 09-05-2012 07:56 PM

is he a true black?

7 Attachment(s)
Hello,
i have read lots of articles about keeping a horse black instead of them fading, and then people saying they arent really black!
I have a 'black' horse who has a black face and legs, but his body faded into a browny colour...underneath his coat the hairs are black,,, in the shade he looks pure black,,, but then in bright sunlight he is very reddish.. he is 2 and a half years old
i have attached alot of pics :p
he is rugged 24/7 except when i took some pics haha
soooo.. is he a black ? or brown :0 either way i love him :)
Attachment 111582
Attachment 111583
Attachment 111584
Attachment 111587
Attachment 111588
Attachment 111589

verona1016 09-05-2012 08:10 PM

Your horse is black.

There are two types of 'true' black- fading and non-fading. Both are black horses, and contrary to common belief, fading is not a sign of being heterozygous for black.

Some horses look black in winter, but still maintain a subtle lightening around the muzzle, eyes, and/or flanks. They may lighten significantly in the summer or remain relatively dark. These horses are not truly black, and are actually "brown" (a misleading term for those unfamiliar with it... it's a variation of the agouti gene- the same gene which causes bay) Your horse doesn't have any such lightening, and so is almost certainly genetically black.

tab14 09-05-2012 08:34 PM

thank you!
is there a reason he has that rusty colour from the sun even though he is rugged ? :/

lilruffian 09-05-2012 08:40 PM

Black with what appears to be some sun bleaching in his mane

verona1016 09-06-2012 11:47 AM

The rug probably helps lessen the amount of sunbleaching, but I don't think it's able to block all the sun. You could use additional products (like supplements such as "Black as Knight" or fly spray with sunblock in it) to lessen the amount that he fades, but you may not be able to stop it entirely without keeping him indoors all day (which I don't recommend!)