The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Horse Shopping - Trainer Eval Question (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/horse-shopping-trainer-eval-question-136847/)

CJ82Sky 09-06-2012 12:33 PM

Horse Shopping - Trainer Eval Question

Hi guys - so i need your help. i have a student want me to go look at a horse with them. the horse is about 3h away (each way) plus i'd assume an hour or so to spend looking at the horse as well. so you're talking easily an 8h day.

what do people usually charge (if you're a trainer) or pay (if you're a student) to have your training come with and try a horse? is it a per hour rate or by distance or time overall? i'd be losing a whole day of lessons/riding/training and the only day i could do this is on a weekend, so i want to be fair in cost, as well as affordable, but not shortchange myself either.

any/all input is appreciated!

jaydee 09-06-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ82Sky (Post 1673718)
Hi guys - so i need your help. i have a student want me to go look at a horse with them. the horse is about 3h away (each way) plus i'd assume an hour or so to spend looking at the horse as well. so you're talking easily an 8h day.

what do people usually charge (if you're a trainer) or pay (if you're a student) to have your training come with and try a horse? is it a per hour rate or by distance or time overall? i'd be losing a whole day of lessons/riding/training and the only day i could do this is on a weekend, so i want to be fair in cost, as well as affordable, but not shortchange myself either.

any/all input is appreciated!

I would expect to pay someone a fixed charge which is what I used to do when I went with people to look at horses, that way they know where they stand up front - so not essentially an hourly rate but you should cover what you would lose in terms of lessons plus any expenses for meals, gas etc and since its a long trip you wouldn't be wrong in adding some on to cover inconvenience of being away from home. After all this isn't a pleasure trip for you but as you say - you dont want to scare them off either

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-06-2012 01:07 PM

Most trainers have a set fee and make arrangements to reschedule their lessons so they don't lose money. So, if you can do that, then figure out what a fair rate in your area is for that service. I've had a few different scenarios, $100/day and buyer pays for food and a mileage charge, $250/day and no other charges, and $100/day plus meals if the trainer rides to and from with the buyer.

If you can't reschedule your lessons, then figure out your lost wages and make that the base figure plus meals and mileage, if you drive, drop the mileage if you ride with the buyer.

It depends on what's customary in your area, but for an 8 hr day, you definately should be paid something.

CJ82Sky 09-06-2012 04:30 PM

thanks guys. i only usually teach one day a week (i love it, but it's not my day job) and i think what i'll do is have the student look on her own (she's in her 20s and a very capable rider) and if she really likes the horse, she'll take him on trial. this way it is more affordable for everyone involved and i think works well all around.

thanks for all the advice - the pricing sounds very fair to me!

~*~anebel~*~ 09-06-2012 04:45 PM

Were it my coach, I would pay her day fee, which is $1200, plus any travel and hotel stays.

Needless to say I usually just send her a video and then show up with the horse for her to see haha!!

Were it a client paying you a commission, then your commission should be enough to negate a day fee, but you still would charge travel. In that case it would be you having found the horse, made the appointment, etc.. Because the rider found the horse, you have really no obligation to see it outside of watching a video, or if she gets a trial, looking at the horse on trial.

Good luck!