The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Draft Horse Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/draft-horse-saddles-136876/)

iamanequestrian 09-06-2012 05:18 PM

Draft Horse Saddles

Hello, I am searching for an ENGLISH draft horse saddle for my small Percheron or Percheron x Quarter Horse. About 15 hands tall. I am a seat size 15 inch, but I can work with a 15 1/2 inch saddle. I cannot find a single English darft horse saddle with a 15 inch seat. Does it even exsits? What do you suggest? Do you know of somewhere to find one? Do you have one? Thank you! :)

Saskia 09-06-2012 06:46 PM

What is an English Draft Saddle?

SouthernTrails 09-06-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 1674203)
What is an English Draft Saddle?

An English Saddle that fits a Draft Horse

Saskia 09-06-2012 07:07 PM

Oh.

I've known people with percheron crosses but they just look for a saddle with a wider gullet.

There seem to be a few around now because Draft crosses are quite popular.

SouthernTrails 09-06-2012 07:10 PM

My little girl is learning Dressage, she is a Belgian

<-------------- Angel :-)

walkinthewalk 09-06-2012 07:46 PM

While all I see on this website are western saddle for Draft-type horses, it wouldn't hurt to call or e-mail them, to see if they custom-make English saddles.

"Hard to Fit" Horse's Saddle

If they can't help you, they may know of a company that can.

I say the word "custom" because that may be what it will take to get a good fitting saddle for both you and your horse:-)

phoebeeliza 09-07-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamanequestrian (Post 1674121)
Hello, I am searching for an ENGLISH draft horse saddle for my small Percheron or Percheron x Quarter Horse. About 15 hands tall. I am a seat size 15 inch, but I can work with a 15 1/2 inch saddle. I cannot find a single English darft horse saddle with a 15 inch seat. Does it even exsits? What do you suggest? Do you know of somewhere to find one? Do you have one? Thank you! :)

How do you feel about Wintecs? I know some people don't like the changeable gullet system, but if you're ok with it then that would be a great solution. I'm shopping for one for my draft cross right now, because I can not find a saddle the fits her and me! And I love how light they are too.

Saddlebag 09-07-2012 09:10 AM

The problem is as large riders turned to the drafts, the saddlemakers realized there was a need to fulfill this market. Because the larger riders require a larger saddle this is where the focus is. There'd be little demand for and extra wide saddle to fit a small bum. If you fit a 15" you must be very slim as that is considered a child's size. Are you able to get 4" behind your bum to the edge of the cantle. The cantle shouldn't be up against your butt. I'm concerned your saddle may be too small. If you google horsesaddleshop.com they have printable templates and explain how to measure your horse. Transfer the templates to cardboard and take them with you to meas. your horse's width behind the shoulder blades.

Country Woman 09-07-2012 12:25 PM

the horse I ride is a draft cross

Left Hand Percherons 09-08-2012 12:00 AM

With a 15 inch saddle you'd be limited to children's saddles which tend to be inferior in materials and construction or a pricey custom. If you can move up to a 16 inch, there are "off the shelf" saddles out there. There are more choices if you look at dressage saddles instead of A/P or huntseat saddles. Dressage saddles also tend to be smaller so that's might make it a decent fit seat wise. Saddle makers all have their own way of measuring and marking trees but look for a 32 cm or larger, MW (medium wide) W (wide) XW.... or maybe 3,4 or 5 as a place to start. Stubbens have a reputation as wider saddles than other makers (a 32 Stubben will be wider than a 32 X). My 32 Stubben Sigfried fit my full Percherons until they were 4-5. Duetts have a decent line of 34 and larger saddles. One of my boarders rides her full draft in a 34 Duett (don't know the model) dressage saddle. I have a 35 Tony Slatter that 2 fit in but need to find something wider for one mare.

Stay away from anything on eBay that claims to be a draft saddle. You get what you pay for. Just like shopping for a light horse, spend the $$ and get a decent quality saddle or you'll be disappointed. I found my Tony Slatter for $400 at a Hardware store !! so you never know where you'll find one.