The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Trouble deciding between 2 TBs--Need opinions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/trouble-deciding-between-2-tbs-need-136891/)

searching for mr perfect 09-06-2012 09:15 PM

Trouble deciding between 2 TBs--Need opinions

I need help choosing between 2 OTTBs. Both are mares and both are 5 years old---looking to hunt, low level eventing, and show hunters/jumpers--. The first has jumped this past winter 3 1/2-4 feet per the trainer. That was without much training and just fooling around. He claims she loved it!

Any advice would be great!

Horse #1

http://canterusa.org/images/stories/...onTownship.jpg

Horse #2
http://canterusa.org/images/stories/...ntheclouds.jpg

themacpack 09-06-2012 09:27 PM

I can't say that I'd take any input from a trainer who would brag about jumping 3 1/2- 4 feet with a horse "without much training" all that seriously.
Have you actually ridden either/both horse(s)? Have either/both been vetted? How much training HAS each horse had?

searching for mr perfect 09-06-2012 09:32 PM

The "trainer" is at the racetrack. His wife was basically just riding in the off season and she was put back into race training in the spring. She has had no true "under saddle" training other than whatever the wife taught her over the winter. I apologize if I made it sound like someone has done something with Mare #1 other than her racing life. Mare #2 has only been raced.

searching for mr perfect 09-06-2012 09:34 PM

I am looking at them tomorrow--they have 2 different trainers and as far as i am concerned have had no training other than racing. They can't be ridden by me due to racetrack rules.

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-06-2012 09:41 PM

Did they mention which rules? I have no clue with US racing but over here the only rules I could think of that would prevent them from racing would be the warning-off of one of the parties (trainer, owner etc), two bleeding incidents (EIPH - exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage, or bleeding from the lungs) or consistently failing to load in the barriers and losing it's barrier certificate. In the first case I'd avoid due to dodgy people, second case I'd avoid as you don't want a horse dropping out from under you during an event, and third I'd avoid because they clearly don't like confined spaces and are possibly a nightmare to float or wash in a bay. Just my $0.02, and as I said I'm unfamiliar with the rules of US racing.

CLaPorte432 09-06-2012 09:45 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Just quickly glancing at them. I like horse number 1 better. The only thing I'm not liking about her are her pasterns. But I think she has a nice topline. Beautiful head and neck. I really like her chest and shoulder. And she looks to have a powerful hindend.

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-06-2012 09:53 PM

Agree, CLaPorte - also don't like how camped under #2 is. But hard to tell with #1 as it's not a proper side-on shot.

Customcanines 09-06-2012 10:06 PM

I like # 1 better - she's really nice/

TimberRidgeRanch 09-06-2012 10:08 PM

race tracks in USA do not allow nonrace people to ride horses on the property due to liability. Plus a TB on the track isnt going to be oe that will have slow well collected gaits nice head set etc etc They are trained for one thing only SPEED. Obviously they are rideable or they wouldnt be racing. But a OTTB when bought needs to be let down for a period of time that time depends on the TB itself. I highly doubt they jumped the horses as that would risk injury to the horse who is suppose to race and make money. A word of caution if you never bought a OTTB directly from the track you need to watch for any signs of possible doping up. Some will dope a horse up enough to show nop lameness or exciteability ( dangerous tendancies )
Now as for which one I would choose hmmmm
I dont like either one of them due to the lower legs Being from the tracks myself ( growing up around the track ) There is something I just dont like about their legs Both have long pasterns but 2nd has a toed in front foot atleast it appears to be the first horse not only long pasterns but long toe Im seeing bumps where there shouldnt be bumps. I would in my opinion keep looking.
JMHO

TRR

TimberRidgeRanch 09-06-2012 10:19 PM

OP is that 2nd mare named castleInTheClouds? If so I wouldnt be paying no 2K for her. JMHO I see better ones in NE canter

TRR