The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Thinking about this horse... feedback appreciated. (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/thinking-about-horse-feedback-appreciated-136943/)

HagonNag 09-07-2012 09:19 AM

Thinking about this horse... feedback appreciated.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the gaited thread, but since I'll be using him on the trail...(and I hang out here more...) Tell me what you think?

He is 12 years old, TWH, supposedly dead broke and a confidence builder.
His favorite gait is a walk, but he does gait and he has a rolling canter. Sounds like just what my old bones need. 15hh.

&*^%$ videos won't work....

see link posted below...

Speed Racer 09-07-2012 09:21 AM

Videos aren't available, Hag. Do you have any still pictures of him?

HagonNag 09-07-2012 09:22 AM

Well rats!

HagonNag 09-07-2012 09:23 AM

Try this???

Dead Broke Flashy Confidence Building Geling!

I'm just wondering a little bit about the head-up stance.... If all works out, we'll be going to try him out next week Saturday.

Celeste 09-07-2012 09:29 AM

The ad sounds nice. I would call them and then go take a look.

Speed Racer 09-07-2012 09:30 AM

I hate that parked out stance they put Morgans and Walkers into.

I don't see anything that would make me think RUN!, but he does look to have a rather upright shoulder. I don't know how that will affect how he feels under saddle, since I'm not familiar with gaited breeds.

Looks like a nice enough horse, and if he's everything they say, he's well worth going to see.

Celeste 09-07-2012 09:32 AM

The parked out stance may be nice for old folks like me. It is like training them to turn the ground into a mounting block. I had one that would park out like that when I was a kid. It had no effect on her except making it easy to mount.

Speed Racer 09-07-2012 09:36 AM

The way the Walkers and Morgan people use it is for show and photos, not for mounting.

I use a mounting block, and have a trail stool if I need to dismount when I'm out hacking. Sure saves a lot of time looking for a downed tree or stump. :wink:

HagonNag 09-07-2012 09:38 AM

I spoke with her, and we are planning on going next week Saturday to try him out. I'm also not a fan of the parked out stance, but it does make it easier to mount.

Dead broke, confidence builders are not exactly glutting the market. It would be easier to find a quarter horse, but I'm used to gaited and so many people end up looking for one as they age, that since I'm already aged (like a great cheese or a fine wine...LOL) switching to WTC at this point seems a little pointless. So, I'm looking for dead broke, quiet GAITED horses...... Something to bridge the gap between now and the nursing home! LOLOL

ETA: Where we ride there is ALWAYS a downed tree or stump...or I've been known to put them in a ditch and mount from the bank. I routinely use the tailgate of the truck for mounting. People look at me a little oddly, but when you're a white haired old lady, you can generally get away with anything. <grin> If push comes to shove, DH has been known to hoist my rear....

Speed Racer 09-07-2012 09:44 AM

I've never had a gaited, so although I think you and I are pretty close geezer-age wise, they're just not something I've ever considered.