The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Silent electric cars sneak up on ya@! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/silent-electric-cars-sneak-up-ya%40-136988/)

tinyliny 09-07-2012 07:05 PM

Silent electric cars sneak up on ya@!

I hardly ever post a rant thread, so I think I am due. Here's one that is pretty harmless:

Don't you just hate how Toyota Priuses and other electric cars run "silently" most of the time, so as a pedestrian , you cannot rely on your sense of hearing to tell you that you are in the pathway of a car and about to get hit. then you see it coming and you just jump out of your skin! I hate how they sneak up on me.

Ok, isn't that about the most harmless , inane rant you've seen here lately?

Faceman 09-07-2012 07:09 PM

Not really - I wonder about blind people when there is nothing to hear?

Jake and Dai 09-07-2012 07:10 PM

LOL Caroline! I used to have a Prius and it kind of drove me insane that after I started it, I never realized it was started!

SouthernTrails 09-07-2012 07:23 PM

Never thought of it... but I agree Face, the phrase silent but deadly might apply to those things

Adam 09-07-2012 07:24 PM

LOL! I've had to dodge those, and a few Volts in the town I work in. Keeps you on your toes!

tinyliny 09-07-2012 07:41 PM

I heard that they will require the newer models to have some kind of noise created that sounds like an engine when they are running in electric mode, for the very purpose to help the blind. My mom has an hybrid Lexus that does this.

In any case, I've had a few surprises in parking lots .

Missy May 09-08-2012 01:53 PM

Interesting.
Well, hopefully they install a pleasant "warning" sound. I really dislike the sound of an engine. But then, I dislike cars - in their entirety. Maybe the sound of a herd of horses running...that would be nice!
I think electric cars discriminate against people that do not live on a paved road as most that I have seen have a clearance next to zip. So, lift them and make 'em sound like a herd of wild buffalo - ya might have somethin! :)

MHFoundation Quarters 09-08-2012 01:57 PM

Can't say that I've dealt with that. If I'm on foot where I'm at, it's much more likely to be a tractor or combine trying to sneak up on me :wink:

Joe4d 09-08-2012 01:58 PM

put cards in the spokes.

Delfina 09-08-2012 02:17 PM

No electric cars around here!

Plenty of diesel trucks and tractors though.