The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   URGENT!!!! evil falabella! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/urgent-evil-falabella-13701/)

equine_friend 08-21-2008 05:42 PM

URGENT!!!! evil falabella!

So. 3 years ago, a falabella mare had a foal at our stables. They were allowed to be outside for people to see them and i mean how cute isnt a falabella foal BORN ON VALENTINES DAY. So he was given treats and if he nibbled on people they'd be like "AWWW *give carrot* " So. Time went on and well, now he is a MONSTER!! He cant walk with a halter, he bites, and i suppose he kicks. And now when he has proper teeth, its not cute when he nibbles on ppl(which, btw has evolved to biting) and nobody likes him anymore. I want to teach him manners, but WHERE DO I START? what do i do? I NEED URGENT HELP!!!

FGRanch 08-21-2008 05:55 PM

A firm hand and lots of time.

You know how a horse is supposed to act and any time he acts out you have to get on his case. My friend owned a stallion like this and it took me a long time to get it out of him. I would always go out with a crop and would give him a tap when he bit, kicked or stricked out at me. Don't give up hope, there is still hope for him. But remember when you are working with a horse like this NEVER EVER take you eyes of off them, you never know what they are going to do when you turn your back.

iridehorses 08-21-2008 06:10 PM

Is he gelded? He was apparently spoiled as a colt and as Fehr said, you need to get very firm with him or it will get worst. .The real trick is to be firm but not cruel. You need to be able to temper your correction without creating more of a problem. If he is still a stallion, or very recently gelded, that will also add to his behavior.

Gimme A Dream 08-21-2008 11:53 PM

To bring him around it is going to take a lot of patience and a lot of love for horses and for him. I think each horse has it preferred method of being worked with.

I prefer talking and singing to the horse, touching him and slowly bringing him around to my way of thinking. In that way, I make the horse ask me to work him, give him something to do for me. It is slow and it can be agonizing.

But maybe this colt needs something more rough. It is going to be you or someone like you who determines what treatment this horse will react to.

Andi 08-22-2008 12:57 AM

I agree that it will take a lot of time and you have to be firm. You have to remember that for three years this behaviour would have been reinforced in some way or another. It can be hard to be firm especially if the horse can be vicious but the more you let him get away with the behaviour the more he will do it.

I would reccommed lots of work and time, and also some natural horsemanship might help? I did a lot of roundyard work with a few of mine and it helped a lot, just to get them to view you as the head of the herd.

His size is a definant advantage for you though, it would be a lot worse with a larger horse. Just time and constant retraining. Be patient with him, otherwise things will get worse.

FGRanch 08-22-2008 01:13 PM

Round pen work is a great idea and will probably help. If you know how to do the join up give it a shot!