The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   What to expect to do in western riding lessons.... (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/what-expect-do-western-riding-lessons-137012/)

Horse racer 09-07-2012 10:39 PM

What to expect to do in western riding lessons....

I'm going to be starting riding lessons soon....I know what to wear, but what should I expect? Never taken lessons before, and I'm sure this question has been asked before and you're rolling your eyes thinking pfffff newbie. Haha :lol: but my goal is to learn western reining. LOVE western reining.

This might be a dumb question but.....do I have to have my own horse to take lessons??? :shock:

bsms 09-07-2012 11:04 PM

Lots of places will have horses you can ride. Where I went, riding your own horse would save you $5/hour lesson.

Horse racer 09-08-2012 12:04 AM

Now, I also need some riding boots.....I don't know much about those either. I've always risen in hiking boots. Haha. What's a good riding boot?

sheenaschlytter 09-08-2012 12:14 AM

I give beginer riding lessons on my horse. Everyone rides trains different but you will most likely be started in a small arena or round pen so the trainer can stay close if something should happen. You will first learn brushing and the proper way to tack up the horse. Then normally you will be kept on a lunge line for the first few lessons untill the trainer knows you know the basics. You will mostly be walking learning to balance with the horse and maybe a little trotting but slow and steady is the best way to lean dont push to go faster you need a good foundation first.
bUT CONGRATS ON STARTING LESSONS :D

sheenaschlytter 09-08-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horse racer (Post 1675699)
Now, I also need some riding boots.....I don't know much about those either. I've always risen in hiking boots. Haha. What's a good riding boot?

I love ariats though for me they run 1/2 size big ( I have a really small foot) but I get used ones on ebay when there cheap Justins are great to but if you dont have the money sneakers work for a while

bsms 09-08-2012 12:38 AM

Most any cowboy boot will be OK for riding. I consider a good heel and a smooth sole to be safety gear.

SorrelHorse 09-08-2012 12:57 AM

^ The above has covered that. Let me run you through a basic layout of a general lesson at my barn.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, she starts us out with "Okay, now pick up a BIG and STRONG posting trot!" to get the horses stretching.

Then generally, it's some speed transitions, going to the middle and doing lateral work (Haunch turns, sidepassing, forehand turns, leg yields, etc.)

That's just a general thing. There is always the incorporation too for the individual student and their goals. Like for me my past few lessons have been a lot of practice picking up leads invisibly with my green horse because it helps me think about it more when she's giving me instruction rather than me doing it on my own, and having that extra set of eyes helps.

This is my trainer with two of her students...lol Corey on Tammio who is a pretty solid mare and Amber on Maija who is three years old.

And then this is her with me and Amber, back when Selena was just starting to lope the barrel pattern.

spurstop 09-08-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheenaschlytter (Post 1675707)
I love ariats though for me they run 1/2 size big ( I have a really small foot) but I get used ones on ebay when there cheap Justins are great to but if you dont have the money sneakers work for a while

No, they most certainly do not.

Horse racer 09-08-2012 08:29 PM

Thanks y'all! You've really been a big help! :D

SlideStop 09-09-2012 07:29 PM

For a dead beginner? I always start my students with walking only. Learning how to stop, steer and post. Mostly just getting comfortable with a 1,000+ animal between your legs. For trot I will use the round pen or small indoor. Then its up from there.

To me basics are basics and can be learned from any saddle no matter what type of riding your doing.
Posted via Mobile Device