The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   When can I cow start to carry weight? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/when-can-i-cow-start-carry-137058/)

barrelbeginner 09-08-2012 12:41 PM

When can I cow start to carry weight?

I know that this is a wierd question to ask on a horse forum type website. I have had a bull calf for a while now.. I halter broke him. and i can pet him all over. I was wondering what age it would be okay to start like putting my wieght on him? with proper ground training.. first of course. I am going to start ground driving him first. But I dont want to hurt him with my wieght(120) he was born in december..? any ideas? I googled it and all I found out was to start with a calf. never said like what age and what not though??:lol:

themacpack 09-08-2012 12:55 PM

There is actually a surprising amount of information available online - riding cows is more common than you might think. I would suggest a quick google to avail yourself of others experienced with this so that they can help you proceed in the safest manner for yourself and your little guy.

barrelbeginner 09-08-2012 01:43 PM

thanks:) do you have an idea of what I should search for? I tried searching for like " at what age can they carry weight" and just " riding longhorns" and what not.. I cant find out that much. But then again. I guess Im not looking that hard... One more question..

- should I steer him? My dad isn't going to breed him so I dont think I should keep him a bull because he was born in december and is acting like a bull already and tries to put me in my place sometimes. I just don't want someone to get hurt later on. I think that steering him would be a good idea?

Celeste 09-08-2012 01:55 PM

If you want to keep him for a pet, you sure should steer him. Bulls are very dangerous. I would think that he should be at least 2 before you try to ride him so he will be big enough to hold you. I don't think it would hurt to lean over him and put a bit of weight on him.
I would start saddling right away. I am only talking from the perspective of knowing cattle; not from knowing how to ride them. I have not ridden or trained one.

barrelbeginner 09-08-2012 01:57 PM

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I would also be showing him. and I already have one bull. He isnt dangerous though.. We can go love all over him.. and another one of my bull calves as well.. But this one.. just seems like a jerk.. and wants to be on the top.. ya know? so probably steer for showing AND safety..

can I do this by banding him? or is he too old?? should I get the vet out? Im not quite sure how to do this? Im sure my dad does. but he isnt here at the moment for me to ask him lol

Celeste 09-08-2012 04:10 PM

I would get the vet out. You don't want the bull mad at you.........

boots 09-09-2012 09:50 AM

You don't mention how old or the weight of the calf, butI prefer castration to banding regardless. Bands break and the process is slow at best. Castration by cutting, while admittedly painful, heals quicker and there are other benefits with additional structures.

And since you aren't certain, I recommend getting a vet.

barrelbeginner 09-09-2012 09:52 AM

He was born in december...not sure of his weight.. IDT im going to anymore LOL he is a paint already.. Ill probably show him this next coming year though.

Joe4d 09-09-2012 11:44 AM

You need to search "Oxen" or oxen training. Thats what you are tryign to create. A cow used for pulling or riding is refered to as Oxen or an Ox, they are generally all steers. They are trained till they are about 4yo before being put to heavy work. Lots of Oxen training websights.

barrelbeginner 09-09-2012 11:46 AM

oh alright:) thanks:) lol that could make a bit of difference:)