The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique Bella-videos-No bucking for the first time in months (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-bella-videos-no-bucking-first-137079/)

Rachel1786 09-08-2012 04:33 PM

Critique Bella-videos-No bucking for the first time in months
 
I just posted in horse talk because I'm trilled that I finally got back on Bella, For the past few months she been bucking every ride so I haven't ridden her for fear I would get bucked off, yesterday I had a friend with me, she's only 14 but she's a pretty good rider and is brave. So she got on Bella with my saddle and Bella was amazing. Now I would like some pointers to work with Bella on, She gets behind the bit sometimes and seems like she never stops playing with her mouth. I'm a terrible judge of if a horse is using it's hind end or not as well.
Don't judge the rider, she hasn't ridden Bella in as long as I have(since I moved barns a few months ago and she was from my old one) and she was understandably a bit nervous because if the bucking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tn39cfhywE





And here are the videos of me walking on her :-P Just a nice easy walk to get us reacquainted :wink: I was just happy to be back up there, I almost cried I was so happy.



arrowattack09 09-08-2012 09:52 PM

I really like you're mare. She has nice movement.

In my opinion , your seat moves too much at the canter. If I were you, I would try harder to sit on your tailbone, and absorb the movement in your stomach rather than your legs like you are now. Also, if your horse usually bucks, its very beneficial to ride with your hands a bit higher. This will help discourage bucking (its hard to buck when the horses head is in the air), and also shift weight to the rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amanda B 09-08-2012 09:57 PM

Congratulations on having your horse back! Did you ever figure out why she had been bucking? I loved how she stretched long and low toward the end of two of the videos, it really shows how relaxed she is - no trace of wanting to buck there! And I especially loved the big pats on the neck she got. Well done all 3 of you!

Rachel1786 09-10-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowattack09 (Post 1676546)
I really like you're mare. She has nice movement.

In my opinion , your seat moves too much at the canter. If I were you, I would try harder to sit on your tailbone, and absorb the movement in your stomach rather than your legs like you are now. Also, if your horse usually bucks, its very beneficial to ride with your hands a bit higher. This will help discourage bucking (its hard to buck when the horses head is in the air), and also shift weight to the rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like I said, the top videos are not me riding :wink: I'm in the bottom 2 vids just walking. Thank you for the compliments on Bella :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda B (Post 1676553)
Congratulations on having your horse back! Did you ever figure out why she had been bucking? I loved how she stretched long and low toward the end of two of the videos, it really shows how relaxed she is - no trace of wanting to buck there! And I especially loved the big pats on the neck she got. Well done all 3 of you!

She has been bucking because the woman who I had been letting ride her was using a saddle that did not fit. The saddle was very tight on her shoulder. I told her months ago that I thought that was the problem but she said it wasn't and I was too much of a push over to be stern. I finally did a wither tracing on Friday and confirmed it. She had also changed my horses bit from a eggbutt french link snaffle to a 3 ring elevator snaffle(without my permission) and was using very heavy hands. Bella was just trying to tell everyone something was wrong and I was too much of a pushover to listen. I had a long talk with the barn owner this afternoon about this and I feel much better now that she is informed(she is friends with the woman so I wasn't sure how it was going to go) and understands my concerns.

Nikki hasn't ridden Bella in a long time and we were both very proud of how well she did, I'm glad it showed :lol:

arrowattack09 09-10-2012 07:30 PM

Oops. Sorry! I need to read better.
Posted via Mobile Device

With Grace 09-12-2012 01:05 AM

Congrats Rachel for getting over your fear and riding Bella again! Also, way to go with letting your BO know about the friends saddle fit, hope that works itself out for you.

EvilHorseOfDoom 09-12-2012 01:35 AM

Congratulations on getting back in the saddle!

From what I could see of her at the walk on the long rain, she doesn't seem to be able to stretch out enough due to the length of the reins. At the canter she seems to be falling onto the forehand but I don't see Nikki pulling on her head or anything - I'd see this as a balance issue for Bella, and it may just be because she hasn't been ridden in a while (am I correct?) and needs to develop the strength in her back end. I'd do plenty of trotwork and work on a long rein, and let her back swing free, plus do work on downward transitions (and half halts within the gaits) to lighten her forehand and shift her balance back to her hindquarters - but there are far more knowledgeable people on here than me who'll give you far better answers :-) I'd be investing in a longer pair of reins though.

Allison Finch 09-12-2012 02:09 AM

You have a very nice mare. I like her. One thing that sticks out in the video. It is hard to be sure due to the quality of the video, but I get the impression that the bit is too high in her mouth. It looks like the cheeks could be dropped a hole or two.

If the bridle is too tight, it may hold the bit in an uncomfortable place in the mouth. That can cause some fussiness. Show a close up photo of the bit placement.

Rachel1786 09-12-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowattack09 (Post 1678586)
Oops. Sorry! I need to read better.
Posted via Mobile Device

We've all done it :-)
Quote:

Originally Posted by With Grace (Post 1680228)
Congrats Rachel for getting over your fear and riding Bella again! Also, way to go with letting your BO know about the friends saddle fit, hope that works itself out for you.

Thank you, I know I should have done it sooner, I'm just such a push over

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilHorseOfDoom (Post 1680247)
Congratulations on getting back in the saddle!

From what I could see of her at the walk on the long rain, she doesn't seem to be able to stretch out enough due to the length of the reins. At the canter she seems to be falling onto the forehand but I don't see Nikki pulling on her head or anything - I'd see this as a balance issue for Bella, and it may just be because she hasn't been ridden in a while (am I correct?) and needs to develop the strength in her back end. I'd do plenty of trotwork and work on a long rein, and let her back swing free, plus do work on downward transitions (and half halts within the gaits) to lighten her forehand and shift her balance back to her hindquarters - but there are far more knowledgeable people on here than me who'll give you far better answers :-) I'd be investing in a longer pair of reins though.

Thanks! I just bought that bridle and it was the first time I ever used it, it was a cheapy $24 bridle. I didn't find the reins to be too short tho, but I have 3 other english bridles. She has been in regular work, but ridden in a saddle that doesn't fit and by a rider with very heavy hands and I think that is causing the issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1680261)
You have a very nice mare. I like her. One thing that sticks out in the video. It is hard to be sure due to the quality of the video, but I get the impression that the bit is too high in her mouth. It looks like the cheeks could be dropped a hole or two.

If the bridle is too tight, it may hold the bit in an uncomfortable place in the mouth. That can cause some fussiness. Show a close up photo of the bit placement.

It was the first time I used the bridle so the bit placement may have been off. I tried to lower it today when the other woman was riding her(in my saddle, which the whole time ridding in it she complained about it being too big). I thought it looked better lowered a whole on each side and the other woman said it was fine where it was and I insisted we put it down, then she put it up before she got on because it was too low :evil:. I don't really have any clear photos but I tried to clean up the photos I do have.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/a.../100_0015e.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/a.../100_0014e.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/a.../100_0006e.jpg

Rachel1786 09-12-2012 10:14 PM

Oh and again she bucked for the other woman! When she did it she was like "Bella you haven't done this in a while" Which is BS because she was bucking 4x as much and higher just last Tuesday when I saw her ride. To me it seemed like she was saying it to be like "see she still bucks even with your saddle"

Allison, Can I PM you?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0