The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critique my mustangs gaits!

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TristaJean 
#1 ·
I've done a conformation critique for Arrow before, but now that I'm thinking more about our future and showing, I figured that I'd get his gaits critiqued. :)

The video is of him walking, then trotting on the lunge line. Please excuse his pulling towards the outside, he's only recently been introduced to lunging, I switched to lunging in a rope halter today to try to fix that problem.

He's a Spanish Mustang gelding in his late teens, we are not sure of his actual age.

So:
How's his walk?
How's his trot?
What western events could you see him doing well in?
What english events (if any, I know he's very "westerny") could you see him doing well in?

Thank you!

#4 ·
He is a cute guy ;) That said, his gaits aren't very flashy (bear in mind this is coming from a dressage rider ;)), but it doesn't sound like you are looking for that. He does have a more "westerny" type look to him as you put it, it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make that trot more of a jog, as it doesn't cover much ground and his feet don't come off the ground very high.I would just worry about it becoming more of a shuffle than a jog for that reason though. I would say you would probably do well in working ranch horse type classes depending on his manners you might be able to pull off some western pleasure. Local level shows he would probably clean up in anything you put him in ;) He could do hunter under saddle, but isn't swingy enough to go against the big guys I would say. He had a nice active walk, I really like his walk. Didn't see canter, but based on the rest of the movement, I would guess it may naturally be a bit lateral.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.