The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Anyone know what kind of color her legs are? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/anyone-know-what-kind-color-her-137120/)

ElsaMayFlower 09-09-2012 12:54 AM

Anyone know what kind of color her legs are?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! I just bought my Appendix mare a couple months a go but have only been calling her the most beautiful gray I have ever seen when people ask what color she is, she has some dapples, some flea bitten marks and a black mane and top part of her tail and her legs I just give up on trying to describe "correctly" because they're mostly black with white "lightening" marks running through them although I'm sure that's not very accurate to say in the horse world. Help?

Lexiie 09-09-2012 12:56 AM

She's grey. So I don't know what to call her legs.
I'd say grey, and that they'll just keep getting lighter

smrobs 09-09-2012 12:58 AM

Yep, she's just in a very pretty place in her graying process right now. I'm not entirely sure what causes the "dappled" looking coloring on their legs, but it seems that most of them have it at some point.

Cat 09-09-2012 01:17 AM

She looks like a bay-based horse turned grey. Really no other way to describe it.

CLaPorte432 09-09-2012 01:21 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Shes beautiful. I hope her mane stays black. I love that look.
Posted via Mobile Device

ElsaMayFlower 09-09-2012 08:39 AM

Thanx for the replies. She's only six and it doesn't seem like she her coat has changed that much from last years coggin pictures that I have. I too also hope she keeps her black mane - never seen a grey with one before seen some light to medium dark manes but never black <3 just puzzled about her legs - they dapple down but then the pattern completely changes by the top of her gaskins to the "streaked lightening" look - only seen solid black or ones with "normal" solid white markings.

Cat 09-09-2012 11:15 AM

That is pretty typical for a bay based. The ones I have seen grey out tend to have the black stick around the longest around their knee joints. Unfortunately I don't know of any grey horse that has kept a black mane more than a few years. You can even see white strands showing up in the mane from the picture. Hopefully she doesn't turn too quickly on you ad you can enjoy this phase for a while.

Poseidon 09-09-2012 10:30 PM

The lightning marks are just from gray. I used to board with a gelding that had them all over.