The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Dressage Prospect!? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/dressage-prospect-137174/)

Klassic Superstar 09-09-2012 06:06 PM

Dressage Prospect!?

Iberian WB 3 y.o. gelding

Helping a family friend look for their next dressage prospect.

Do you think he has a good body for 1st-2nd maybe 3rd level work? In the future of course as he is still not fully started and only 3 years old.

I emailed asking for video and if we could go meet him.

Thanks!

faye 09-09-2012 06:15 PM

can you get a decent confo shot, the only vaguely side on one is at an angle that makes his shoulder look funny.

Allison Finch 09-09-2012 06:30 PM

You really need to post a video to help us see his movement. Almost any horse can do up to third level work. The difference between a mediocre horse and a really nice horse often centers on its natural movement.

This guy is almost obese, so it is hard to really judge its topline. His neck seems a bit short and thick. Once he slims down and gains some fitness, he will probably look a lot better.

Klassic Superstar 09-09-2012 06:33 PM

This was all they had online of him, I am waiting for a reply with better pics and or video. If we wind out seeing him I'll make sure to get good confirmation pictures and video :)

~*~anebel~*~ 09-10-2012 03:58 PM

This Iberian WB crap drives me up the wall.
It's a Lusitano crossed with a QH, lets call a spade a spade. Based on breeding alone, it has one half that is likely not going to make a third level dressage horse (the QH half) and one half that depending on the breeding, is potentially capable of doing so. However judging by the price, it's probably some "Lusitano" that's not even in the Portuguese studbook anyways (or wont be for long once they learn he's been crossbred).
Therefore, it's extremely unlikely that the horse is (by breeding) going to even have 2 decent gaits for dressage, let alone 3. Of course there are always freaks of nature, but in general I'd say the horse is destined for a life of pleasure riding and maybe doing some cow work.

You're going to have a lot more success in that price range looking for a nice TB that is capable of some good third level work.

Good luck!

Centaurheart 09-10-2012 04:05 PM

I wondered if you noticed how thick his body is and how overweight he is? Even if he could move, I doubt he can right now. Just a thought...

Weezilla 09-10-2012 11:11 PM

If he's close enough to you, go look and get some conformation shots and video of him at liberty w/t/c. There's nothing about him that makes me want to run screaming away-in fact he looks quite cute. Lovely coloring, sweet face, nice bone, and WHAT A TAIL:shock::D I'd never say anything negative about any horse based on photos like those.

He sounds like a level headed youngster. There's no way of knowing how he moves until you see him in action. Just remember, trot is easiest to improve. Buy the canter first and walk second.

And certainly Chubbsy Ubbsy need at least a grazing muzzle and maybe a dry lot:wink:

I think he's worth a road trip:-)

lacey123 09-13-2012 04:07 AM

wow anebel talk about breed bias, I have meet many QH that can do 3rd level, maybe not as natrually as your wonderful WB, but hey it happens. Also a few dare I say Appalossa's that can go 4th.
I agree that we should call a spaid a spaid but lets not be so hasty to group everything into one category, which is typical of most dressage riders.

Kayty 09-13-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacey123 (Post 1681571)
wow anebel talk about breed bias, I have meet many QH that can do 3rd level, maybe not as natrually as your wonderful WB, but hey it happens. Also a few dare I say Appalossa's that can go 4th.
I agree that we should call a spaid a spaid but lets not be so hasty to group everything into one category, which is typical of most dressage riders.

hey um... not really appreciating that blanket statement mate ;)

I do agree with Anebel though in that 'warmblood' is overused. Any kind of cross breed no days seems to be getting the warmblood label. A little offensive to those who have spent many generations and many millions of dollars producing specific 'types' of genuine warmbloods.

As for this horse, from the photos I think it looks quite nice. Not an FEI prospect, but hey, there's some up there with horrendous conformation doing the work. My gelding, with fully imported hanoverian lines, has short front legs and a long neck, and a bit downhill but hell can he work in collection!!!!
Can't tell much without seeing it move. If it can lower its haunches, open its shoulder, swing its back and bend it hocks, thats half the battle won.

thesilverspear 09-13-2012 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have paperwork that says my horse is an American warmblood. So she's obviously a warmblood, right? :wink:

(her Colorado brand inspection card says she's a warmblood, but sadly she's gone down in class since moving to Britain and her British passport states that she's just a grade cross-breed. Poor girl)

In all her furry wambloody glory: