The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Mercedes Benz G Wagon as a towing vehicle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/mercedes-benz-g-wagon-towing-vehicle-137249/)

crimsonsky 09-10-2012 01:06 PM

Mercedes Benz G Wagon as a towing vehicle

i'm curious to see if anyone has ever used a MB G Wagon as a towing vehicle for horses. i know of people that have towed boats and things with them but the only thing i would need to tow would be horses.

this is what the current model is like: G-Class Off-Roading SUV: G550 & G55 AMG | Mercedes-Benz

any thoughts on what you feel is a requirement in a tow vehicle and why would be really appreciated. thanks!

Fluffy Pony 09-10-2012 01:57 PM

Sure you can pull it... but the bigger question is, can you stop it?

I would be too afraid to pull a loaded horse trailer with that kind of car, the wheel base in general is a huge red flag to me. I can picture it fish tailing down the freeway just because of how short the wheel base is.

loveduffy 09-10-2012 02:08 PM

it seems that the towing abley is low I would check with the dealer about if it could do the job

crimsonsky 09-10-2012 03:21 PM

that's what my thought was as well - the wheelbase.

as far as asking the dealership about the towing capacity - they seem to think it would be fine. i think *I* am more worried about it than they are. :/

~*~anebel~*~ 09-10-2012 03:42 PM

The things that you need to consider are your GVW/tow rating, the gear ratio, your transmission and wheel base. Installing a trailer brake is going to help alleviate some of the stopping issues but you still need a big heavy vehicle to tow. I have a friend that hauls horses with her big Lexus and it makes me queasy.

Talk to a good, independent mechanic. Mine wouldn't let me buy anything less than a 3/4 ton, 4x4 with a tow package and heavy duty engine/tranny to tow a two horse, mostly aluminum trailer. And I still wouldn't haul in the mountains with it, but it's great for short (<8 hours) trips, even in bad weather.

SouthernTrails 09-10-2012 03:58 PM

Towing a Boat is one thing, but Horses are live loads.

SUV's tend to be top heavy and you really don't need a live load adding to stability problems in a SUV.

If you added a trailer brake kit to the vehicle and only wanted to pull a one horse trailer, maybe for short distances like during an emergency, but I personally would not want to use something like that.

crimsonsky 09-10-2012 04:31 PM

i've only ever pulled a trailer with a truck (1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks) so that's why i was asking about towing with an SUV. i was worried about the wheelbase/weight.

twiz454 09-10-2012 04:39 PM

hey lady, I know you ;) I wouldn't do it. It doesn't look wide enough, the tow capacity is only 3500lbs, and you'll be right at that just pulling one horse. Even with trailer brakes it may not be enough to stop it well since it will be maxed out. I've pulled with a Ford Excursion, but they're an SUV made for hauling. Mercedes is mainly made for pretty.

crimsonsky 09-10-2012 05:00 PM

haha - the other MBs yes, the G wagons not exactly. they're just like the original hummers - military vehicles that have been made pretty for the consumer. they're certainly more than capable vehicles just not for towing a horse it seems. sad for me in that respect - fantastic for me in all others. :P

tim62988 09-13-2012 01:09 PM

I don't see a lot of similarities between Hummers & this.

Hummer is a wider longer lower vehicle, this appears to be more compact/narrow.

the towing capacity i saw was at 7500 pounds which would be fine, but also want to check tounge weight on trailer vs. what the MB can handle so you arn't throwing the front end sky high

But Comparing:
08 Duramax with a 6.6 liter engine and 660ft/lbs of torque

Mercedes Benz 5.5 Liter youre at 390 for torque. if you bump up to the G63 youre at 560torque

08 Duramax was 35K new.... the MB with larger engine starts at 135K.... I would say buy a truck and whatever car you want at that rate

just my .02