The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   joint supplement does this work? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/joint-supplement-does-work-137271/)

HarleyWood 09-10-2012 06:18 PM

joint supplement does this work?

has anyone used this before? know how much the 2lbs last? does it work?

Sprout Ultra MSM - Mills Fleet Farm

walkinthewalk 09-10-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyWood (Post 1678470)
has anyone used this before? know how much the 2lbs last? does it work?

Sprout Ultra MSM - Mills Fleet Farm

Well, it says "99% pure with no fillers" and that's exactly what you want. The scoop shouldn't be very big - maybe equal out to a heaping teaspoon.

I am paying $11/lb for a custom mix of 99% pure chondroitin/msm. If you order this and it works, let us know:D

HarleyWood 09-10-2012 08:29 PM

i was wondering about how much it would last? a month or two maybe longer. i may have my mom get some and ill open it to see if it comes to it.

walkinthewalk 09-11-2012 09:39 AM

I measured the scoop I get with my Chondroitin/MSM. It is one level teaspoon.

My directions for a maintenance dose is one scoop (one teaspoon) daily. I can feed two scoops daily if needed.

The chondroitin sulfate is 3000 mgs per scoop and the MSM is 7000 mgs per scoop.

Just feeding one horse one scoop daily, one pound should last a couple months or longer.

You might call the company ask them how many mgs of MSM per scoop.

My vet won't let me feed any of my horses more than two scoops daily on a regular basis which means 6000 mgs of chondroitin and 14000 mgs of MSM.

These are NSAIDS that a horse can stay on long-term but they are not something that should be fed past the maximum daily dosage recommended by the company.

Conversely, you don't want to feed less than the minimum either - they are meant to be fed every day once the routine is started:-)

I hope this helps and I hope it makes sense; if not show this to your mom and/or ask more questions:D

WickedNag 09-11-2012 09:50 AM

I have used Cortaflex with great results.

twiz454 09-11-2012 10:13 AM

I haven't used that brand, so I'm not sure how long that bag is meant to last. I can't zoom in on the product, but it should say on it how long of a supply that is. I use Dynamite's MSM, about a teaspoon daily, I buy it in 1 pound bags and it lasts a month.

verona1016 09-12-2012 02:49 PM

I use Select the Best MSM, also a 99.9% pure MSM. I feed at their recommended 10g per day (1 lb ~= 450g), so 2 lbs would last 90 days.

I can't comment on how well it works, since I've only had my horse for a few months and doesn't have any joint problems (I feed it as a preventative).

poppy1356 09-12-2012 02:54 PM

Farnam MSM Ultra Pure Powder - 4 Lb. - Mills Fleet Farm

I bought this June 15th and I'm barely half way through now. I give one scoop daily which is what the daily dose is.