The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit For More Precise Turns

993 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bsms 
#1 ·
After having Bunny for a little over a month now, the main thing I want to work on with her is getting her turns to be more precise.

Is a bit change something that would help here? Even if temporary, just to refine her turning skills.
Also, I read that you can't show English with the bit I'm using:
Right now, I have her in an Western-Dee ring, broken snaffle. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the different types of bits, so suggestions would be very helpful.

#2 ·
After having Bunny for a little over a month now, the main thing I want to work on with her is getting her turns to be more precise.

Is a bit change something that would help here? Even if temporary, just to refine her turning skills.
Also, I read that you can't show English with the bit I'm using:
Right now, I have her in an Western-Dee ring, broken snaffle. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the different types of bits, so suggestions would be very helpful.
You might post a video. Lack of training/knowledge or your riding might be an issue and you might need to hone other skills not change bits.

#3 ·
I was wondering that on my ride earlier, she's doing better than when I got her.
I will try and get a video but my camera doesn't work 50% of the time.
What I was thinking about the bit change was like, I know that (I think for reining/cutting horses but don't quote me on that) they use different bits at the different stages of their training to perfect turns/stops ect.

#6 ·
Jumanji: I know they use seat/leg for turns and stops, I do that to. I kind of thought everybody did..
I watched several videos of the early training for the horses and that's what I saw, was just going off what I remembered. I know that some style of training uses that, and it seemed to work quite well.

Churumbeque: The pictures I have on here with her wearing the bit, the bridle snap had broken and I tied the bit onto it, so it wasn't fitting properly. :b I fixed it though and its the proper fit. I will ask the breeder I got her from what bit she was ridden in, I can't remember.

#7 ·
What do you mean by a more 'precise' turn? Is the nose tipping to the outside? Is the horse pulling itself around from the front end? At a guess - and no insult is intended, because this was something I learned about a year ago - but it may be how you sit or how you apply the reins that needs work, or your horse may be stiff or off balance and need help with that. I'm not a trainer or teacher, but I can't think of many cases where changing a bit would make a horse turn more precisely (balanced? accurately? quickly?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.