The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Question about swollen, white coronet band... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/question-about-swollen-white-coronet-band-137291/)

mammakatja 09-10-2012 09:23 PM

Question about swollen, white coronet band...

Alright, some of you know about my mare's barb wire injury as I have been giving updates on a separate thread. I have a new question. I've been wrapping her hoof from basically under the heel up to below the knee 24/7 for about the last 2 weeks. I've noticed in the last 3-4 days that her coronet band is white and swollen from about her quarters down into her heel bulbs. The bulbs themselves are pretty soft and stretched too. I'm really hoping its because of the moisture being retained due to the constant wrapping. Of course when I did just a little digging, it also points this out as being a symptom of laminitis, and I started to panic, but after reading that this can happen on wet fields, after a lot of rain, etc., I'm really hoping it's from the wrapping, especially since the maxi I use on the wound just about perfectly covers the areas of the coronet band that are swollen. I'm thinking about leaving it open again for a while. The gap of the cut is pretty much closed and the proud flesh is under control. There are a few tiny spots that like bleed slightly when I lightly scrub the wound, but I'm wondering if I should just leave it open and let it scab over naturally for a while. I would still paint the equaide on it which would dry over the wound and help protect it some. What do y'all think?

mammakatja 09-10-2012 10:39 PM

Oh and she's absolutely not tender or hot around these areas even when I put pressure on them. She's not even lame from her cut anymore.

DRichmond 09-11-2012 04:53 AM

I agree with you on not wrapping, definitely.

mammakatja 09-11-2012 08:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I left it unwrapped today and it seems to be improving. She's still walking beautifully on it so I'm hoping that's all it was. The wound was getting to a stage where it needed some air anyway.