The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Help: What APHA pattern is Calypso? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/help-what-apha-pattern-calypso-137326/)

Lwhisperer 09-11-2012 03:23 AM

Help: What APHA pattern is Calypso?

I've been researching online since I bought her this summer and am still very confused... I've never seen a Paint quite like her, and she seems to have markings that are consistent with entirely different patterns... And I'm no professional with APHA patterns. I know she is registered as a Bay Tobiano/Overo. At first I thought she was just a "Tovero," but I've read that "tovero" is an often misused and is a "too general term" to accurately describe most patterns. I know she's not a typical Tobiano, and I know she's not a typical Overo! So what IS she??? Any suggestions or help is gratefully accepted!

A quick overall description since her pics aren't super great:
-Two blue eyes (both have black-ish spots around them)
-Mostly white face (very large brown patch on left side, and mostly black lips)
-Has ALMOST medicine hat ears, but one is white on the back with brown speckles!
-Has many black points, so I'm sure she's a Bay at least. :)
-Very large body patches
-Back line is broken (white on top of hindquarters and withers)
-Many "cat tracks" just behind shoulders and around barrel area (I read this is typical of homozygous tobianos?)
-Some roaned out edges on the big patches (overo? sabino?)
-All 4 legs mostly white, but front left has a large patch at the top.

Phew! Sorry post is so long. Here are a couple pics to help, and you can check her out in my "barn" as well if that helps! Thanks so much! :-)

Lwhisperer 09-11-2012 03:32 AM

Hmm, I've having technical difficulties getting the pictures to post... Please go to my "barn" on my profile. I have many pictures of Calypso on her page. Thanks again for the help!

Lwhisperer 09-11-2012 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Right side

Lwhisperer 09-11-2012 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't have the best left side shot, but here's what I have...

Lwhisperer 09-11-2012 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's a shot of that spotty ear

Lwhisperer 09-11-2012 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aaaand headshot. Ok, I'm done. Lol

rbarlo32 09-11-2012 04:44 AM

I would say splash, tobiano and sabino.

ThirteenAcres 09-11-2012 09:57 AM

You are lucky you got a horse with "eyeliner" with so much facial white! I don't think it is sabino causing the snowflake type flecking. I'd say the tobiano was at fault for that. And by the way the color moves on her body, I'd suspect frame. And yes, I'd also say splash. So my guesses are frame tobiano with splash.

rbarlo32 09-11-2012 11:00 AM

I am sticking by sabino look at the edges of the coloured patches.

NdAppy 09-11-2012 11:52 AM

Tobiano causes the mapping/haloing that surrounds the edges of the color. Totally a tobiano thing there.

Also I see frame in the way her white moves across her body.