The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Merlot's Foaling Thread (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/merlots-foaling-thread-137414/)

Merlot 09-12-2012 12:55 AM

Merlot's Foaling Thread

4 Attachment(s)
Hi There,

I read one of the foaling threads and got so hooked I thought I would put up one for my mare.
She has just hit the 9 months mark now so if anyone would like to see photos of her from the start I have put a wee diary here...
ProvideIt Multi Vitamin & Minerals for Horses

In the mean time i thought I would start off posting here from now on in.
As this is my first time foaling (I have some experience having worked ona stud many years ago) I would appreciate any advice :D
Merlot (my mare) is a New Zealand born Quarter Horse - (She is my first quarter horse too - and a total delight). She is in foal to a beautiful buckskin NZStationbred/Angloarab.
She lives out in our paddocks with my little Australian Stock horse, Persil and our much loved sheep (The Sheeples)
Anyhow enough waffle,I'm sure you'd like to see some pictures of her taken a couple of days ago at 9 months into her pregnancy.
The surprised looking horse with the larger star is Persil.

sommsama09 09-12-2012 01:10 AM

Wow how wonderful, I love Quarter Horses. Subbing so I can read her progress and updates! Hoping for a healthy foal for you and her! Is this her first foal or does she have others? Do you have any pictures of the sire? We love pictures here :lol:

Merlot 09-12-2012 01:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Somsamma.
Please tell me what subbing is - just new here, I kept seeing it on other foaling threads and thought it meant people were sobbing :shock:

Yes I have photos of the sire, this is him....
Regarding foaling, merlot had a foal last year (her first) the filly was born 'healthy' but died within 24 hours. Unfortunately I did not own her then - I bought her at the beginning of this year so I have no idea why the foal died - her previous owner did not do any tests - could have been any number of reasons.

Anyhow thanks for your comments :-|

BellaMFT 09-12-2012 07:53 AM

Can't wait to see pictures of a healthy foal. Congrats! Did you buy her already pregnant?

**Subbing is a quick way to subscribe to a thread so you get notified when there are updates. (At least that's the way I think about it) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

dieselcowgirl 09-12-2012 12:06 PM

subbing too. Hoping for a healthy foal.

Merlot 09-12-2012 03:50 PM

ahhh thanks BellaMFT and Deiselcowgirl.
Yes I did purchase her already pregnant. I was looking for a quality mare in foal to that stallion and luck was on my side!
She was very lame when she arrived - navicular apparently however since she has been here and is being properly barefoot trimmed, there has been no sign of lameness - I guess once the foal is weaned and I start riding her is when the proof will be in the pudding as they say...whoever THEY are. ;-)

BellaMFT 09-12-2012 04:08 PM

My only concern is that she lost her foal last year for what ever reason. I would want to know if they had her checked before the re-bred her. I hope all goes well for your mare and the foal. I just had my first foal in May. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work.

Merlot 09-12-2012 04:22 PM

Hi Bella, I know what you mean and I've had the vets give her a good going over. As I said, it could have been a myriad of reasons, she was not vaccinated at all and equine herpes was rampant - I've made sure she/he is this time. I will be observing the foal for problems from the minute she is born with my finger on the dial to the vet!
They don't forsee any problems :-)

BellaMFT 09-12-2012 04:27 PM

I am happy to hear that you have a good working relationship with the vet. I love my vet. I think that is the most important thing to do is have a vet who knows her. Beyond that it is kinda up to mother nature.

Merlot 09-12-2012 05:18 PM

You are ab****ely right :-)
That and the fact that nutritionally she is on the best quality minerals and vitamins especially developed for our conditions here :-)
Have just been down to give them their morning feed - Merlot fell asleep while I massaged her as she stood in the paddock after her nums. She's very calm about it all, Clearly I'll be the one doing the stressing. ;-)