The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   desktop computers whats good? (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/desktop-computers-whats-good-137448/)

kait18 09-12-2012 02:36 PM

desktop computers whats good?

i am looking to get a desktop computer for my apartment. what is worth getting and not getting.

i was looking into the mac desktops and there crazy priced like always.

then there are the others. what is everyones preference

please share :D

DancingArabian 09-12-2012 02:58 PM

What do you plan on using it for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 09-12-2012 03:30 PM

depends really.

Dell is the best ive found for things like gaming and what not.
but theyre not really Hardy and in my experience they get alot more bugs and problems

HP is a good all around computer, for school projects, internet etc

but Mac is by far the best ive ever used. doesnt get viruses, doesnt have alot of software issues. theyre just pricey and they take getting used to the way they run.

kait18 09-12-2012 05:50 PM

sorry that would be ideal information.

i want to put my architecture programs on it and also be able to access my work computer from it. needs to have or be able to be secured from viruses either via other programs or naturally and must run as fast as possible.

mainly it will be a work computer.

Roperchick 09-12-2012 08:20 PM

anything that runs Windows (7 or vista) is most likely going to get a butt-ton of viruses....even with Norton, or Mcaffee they are very unsecured imo.

best bet for protection and smooth running is mac...even though they are expensive. they have really good programs, not alot of glitches, and dont burn out like Dell and HP do alot....at least thats my opinion.

Chevaux 09-12-2012 08:33 PM

Where I used to work, the Drafting folks used ramped up IBMs or Dells (they generally preferred Dells over the IBMs) - they would also switch out computers on a yearly basis as they were always hunger for more processing speed when new bigger versions became available. At home, I used a HP desk top as well as laptop -- I'm very happy with both but my processing needs are not as heavy as what you will need otherwise they've been good computers for me.

Roperchick 09-12-2012 08:37 PM

or if you went with a Dell or HP...theyre main thing is processing speed and getting bogged up in memory and data....

so i have an HP, a Dell, and a Compaq laptop...all 3 work great because i have an external harddrive that i keep all my crap on...

a good combo would be a highspeed HP with a big ED (as in 1 or more terabytes...theyre about $200 here in HI)

jinxremoving 09-13-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roperchick (Post 1681166)
anything that runs Windows (7 or vista) is most likely going to get a butt-ton of viruses....even with Norton, or Mcaffee they are very unsecured imo.

It's all about the user. I haven't had a virus in, many, many, many years. You just have to be a careful user, stay up to date with the latest Windows patches, don't be tricked into installing software and you'll be OK.

DancingArabian 09-13-2012 08:29 AM

For just a work computer, most of the name brand premade ones will work fine for you. I've had good experiences with HP, bad experiences with Dell. I'm currently using an ASUS.

The key thing to remember is to go to a manufacturer direct or a big box store. Their warranty services are good.

Virus protection is mostly about the user. Yes things happen but you do have to be mindful about what you install and all that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 09-13-2012 02:44 PM

:lol:
Quote:

It's all about the user. I haven't had a virus in, many, many, many years. You just have to be a careful user, stay up to date with the latest Windows patches, don't be tricked into installing software and you'll be OK.
:D haha very true...im cursed against technology anyways.

OP i would honestly recommend going to Office Depot or Best Buy Etc. they have raelly knowedgable people (at least ime) and their warrantys are awesome

my HP has broken down 4 times (yeah im cursed) first time, my shelf on my desk fell down and landed on my computer and broke the screen....sent it home to Office Depot where i bought it, (they now know my computer as the Hawaii computer :lol:) they sent it in to their main people, fixed it and sent it back to me.... no charge.

2nd and 3rd times, the hard drive literally burnt out....wouldnt work at all, sent it back both times....they sent the "Hawaii computer" back fixed....this last time was windows 7 wouldnt load on my computer...just a blank screen...some wiring in it was messed up...i took it in to the store here and had it fixed for free, since it was a software malfunction.

so to end my needless story, i would recommend going into a computer store, spelling out what you need, and they are really good about getting exactly the right computer for you.

theyll also load windows 7, microsoft, and anti-virus protection there in the store for you....at leas my guy did