The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   MTG: Love it? Hate it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mtg-love-hate-137505/)

Lwhisperer 09-13-2012 02:54 AM

MTG: Love it? Hate it?

Hey all, I'm considering buying some M-T-G for a few different purposes... My mare is kept out in pasture year round and she tends to rub/scratch the top of her tail some on various things outside. Haven't found a reason (such as dandruff or anything else). I've read some reviews online for M-T-G and they almost unanimously claim it's a "miracle worker" for getting longer, thicker manes and tails, and for quickly curing small skin ailments. I also like this idea, as there are eight horses in Caly's pasture and they get into small tiffs here and there... She never has any significant bites or kicks, but they do take a bit of hair off and leave a few tiny patches of skin. Have you used M-T-G before, and if yes, what have been your results? Caly's coat, mane and tail are in pretty good condition currently (considering being outside 24/7), but I'm always looking for inexpensive things to improve her well-being and appearance! Thanks for your help! :-)

aforred 09-13-2012 09:27 AM

I've used it on a show gelding's tail with good results. And one of my project horses had rubbed part of her mabe out, and MTG helped it grow more quickly. (I know that because I only treated half for two months to see what would happen.)

I've also used it on rain rot with good results. I have heard that some horses can have a reaction to it, though I have never seen it.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 09-13-2012 09:40 AM

I personally hate it. Would gladly give what I have left away. It makes everything greasy, attract dust and dirt and smells awful. I personally will never use it again! I have a great spray on conditioner I much prefer, and it helps to prevent breakage so that what grows, stays.

MHFoundation Quarters 09-13-2012 09:41 AM

It smells horrid but I like it. I used it on a broodie's tail that got chewed off (don't know if it legitimately grew faster because of it or not). What I loved it for was my old dog. She got hot spots and it was the one thing that worked for them.

If it weren't for the smell, I would try it on myself and see what happened lol!

DancingArabian 09-13-2012 10:10 AM

The scent smells like bacon to me - smoked bacon. However I know some people who say it smells like sulphur, gunpowder and asphalt.

In my limited experience it works well when there's something causing hair loss - like rain rot or itchiness or something. If there's not some sort of medical issue and everything is normal I haven't seen it actually grow hair. It's super greasy and binds to everything.

Mixed review!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-13-2012 12:12 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with it. It works great, but it's greasy and does attract dirt. It smells like bacon when you first put it on but wear gloves because I have yet to find the soap that can get that smell off. If I forget to wear gloves, I wake up in the middle of the night thinking I've gone to hell and find out it's just my hand got too close to my nose and the sulphur smell is killing me! GAAAAH I hate that smell!

Legend 09-13-2012 05:56 PM

Meh. I have used it, I put it in the mane and tail about once a week and never did see a difference other than extremely greasy mane/tail/hair. Personally, I like the smell, but the greasyness is why I wear gloves. I dont care for it. I have a huge bottle out in the take shed sitting about 1/4 of the way gone, and I dont think Ill be using it any time soon.

COWCHICK77 09-13-2012 06:21 PM

I have had mixed results.

Some their tails grew and it was beautiful, others not so much and I have witnessed one that reacted to it. She had horribly flaking skin.

A bottle lasts quite a while, not a significant investment, but TS used to sell sample bottles pretty cheap.

goingnowhere1 09-13-2012 07:51 PM

I've had good results with it. I can put it on a dry nasty looking tail and have it shine up and gleam an hour later. I can also repeatedly put it in rain rot, etc, and have the problem poof immediately.
However, it stinks like bacon that's been sitting outside all day. And it's really oily. You put that stuff on your horse and you brush over it, and your brush will be oily for days. However I'd definitely say the benefit is better than the bad points.

Lwhisperer 09-13-2012 08:15 PM

Well, despite mixed reviews I purchased a bottle at TSC. The one in my town apparently doesn't sell any smaller size than the quart bottle... Doing a sensitivity test on her this evening to see if she has a bad reaction to it. If not, I'll do the first treatment tomorrow and once a week after that to see if anything happens. I'll post my findings! :smile: