The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckskin...would you suspect a white gene too?

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Chiilaa 
#1 ·
I know she's Ee A? CRcr...Do you see frame or anything else? She has frosting in her mane and tail but I know that's kinda a buckskin thing. Her mom is bay (well, prolly brown) with lots of white (big blaze, three stockings and a sock) and dad is a palomino with a big ol blaze but not much if any white on his legs.
Her right fore has like a half a coronet band, her left hind has about 3/4 a little sock there.

The white goes down to her lower lip...

See less See more
#3 ·
I would love to know what lab is testing a second sabino mutation, as I haven't heard of it yet.

As far as the OP's mare - Sabino and frame. Sabino because the face white is fairly symmetrical, and because of the way the leg white is jagged. Frame because the white is trying to spread over the eyes, and because with that much face white I would expect more leg white.

#6 ·
Yes, they can have sabino and frame (as well as splash, and probably dominant white, as well, though there are no tobianos in AQHA). All of the white pattern genes can hide to some degree and it's a result of these hidden genes that led to the many AQHA 'crop-outs' that had too much white to register and helped form the APHA.

Reactions: stevenson
#7 ·
Exactly!

@Chiilaa "Sabino because the face white is fairly symmetrical" This is not always true. But because it does extend to her lower lip I agree. "and because of the way the leg white is jagged" That could also be an indication of frame. "Frame because the white is trying to spread over the eyes" Sabino does this too, typically, however, in 'maximum white' specimens. "and because with that much face white I would expect more leg white," the amount of leg white is not directly related to either gene - the percent expressed is sporadic if the foal only received one copy of either gene.

But lastly, my apologies I checked my source and I read it wrong

#14 ·
Leg white is caused by sabino, splash or tobiano (in theory dominant white too, but I haven't seen one that minimal before). All "regular" white is actually minimal expression of a white pattern gene, just restricted to the head and legs.

#16 ·
It can be one of the three, or two of them or only one. Sabino isn't the only one that causes leg white, not all leg white is caused by sabino. However, yes, everyone who has a horse with leg white or face white owns a horse with a white pattern.

#17 ·
There's only 1 testable mutation of sabino that's available right now, so we couldn't know if the "normal" white actually caused by a sabino mutation or some other unknown white pattern.

But yes, theoretically, every horse that has any white markings has some sort of white pattern causing it.

#20 ·
Geneticists have been theorising that there are different forms of white for a few years now, probably close to 20 IIRC. Science is just catching up and confirming what we already believe, although it often has shed light on certain myths too. Everyone was surprised when splash came out in three forms, no one I talk to expected that. And it was a commonly held belief that brown was black with mealy, until the agouti test was developed. Turns out it's not :-p

Reactions: doubleopi
#19 ·
Thanks AbsitVita! She is adorable...and sweet..and I think her trainer may be getting too attached and not want to give her up :wink:
I may see about getting her tested later, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I will be sure to let you know if I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.