The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Would you buy.... (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/would-you-buy-137606/)

RhinestoneCowgirl03 09-14-2012 12:37 AM

Would you buy....

a barrel horse that is pretty young, but the owners tell you the horse is most likely going to need injections if you run them much? I don't know the full story on the horse, but apparently it's sound now but the owners said if you're going to do any heavy hauling, it'll need hock injections. I like the horse and it's a good price, just not sure I want to commit to a horse that has more than a chance of needing somewhat expensive maintainance...

oh vair oh 09-14-2012 12:43 AM

No way. A horse that's gonna need hock injections at a young age is going to be a trainwreck for the rest of his life. Those injections are $500+ and you have to continue to get them every couple of years. His career is pretty well finished, which is a shame.

RhinestoneCowgirl03 09-14-2012 12:58 AM

That make me sad, because the horse is sooo nice. He doesn't need the injections now, but for whatever the seller's definition of "heavy hauling" is they say the horse will probably need them in the future.

1RedHorse 09-14-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh vair oh (Post 1682908)
No way. A horse that's gonna need hock injections at a young age is going to be a trainwreck for the rest of his life. Those injections are $500+ and you have to continue to get them every couple of years. His career is pretty well finished, which is a shame.

Good god educate yourself on injections.

Prices fluctuate but standard cortisone injection run me $90 a hock....HA added is more expensive. Injection frequency depends on the problem and how often and hard the horse is being used. Can be anywhere from 3 months to a year.

A shot given IV such as Pentosan can help lengthen the periods between injections.

I ran a horse that had to get his hocks and stifles done for 3 years and won alot on him. Last I heard he's still going strong. It's just extra maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 09-14-2012 02:11 AM

I'm an idiot xD

SorrelHorse 09-14-2012 02:12 AM

See what you vet thinks. Otherwise I am with 1Red.

Also, can you define "pretty young"?

SorrelHorse 09-14-2012 02:13 AM

I should add there are horses at my barn getting injected, hauled heavily, and still pass a vet check with flying colors just as maitenance. Never been unsound.

nikelodeon79 09-14-2012 09:31 AM

I'd definitely want more information as to WHY they feel he'll need injections. Does he have an old injury? Was he run too hard as a youngster? I'd most definitely be getting a PPE, as well.

DrumRunner 09-14-2012 03:31 PM

I don't think injections are as awful as some people make them out to be..If I weren't running two horses already I'd probably inject Hickory and start hauling him again.. I'm curious to hear the whole situation as well..