The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Finishing touches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/finishing-touches-137653/)

LeighLovesLongears 09-14-2012 05:21 PM

Finishing touches

This November I am hoping to be able to show one of my donkeys in showmanship. I've seen a lot of girls and women wearing earrings and necklaces. I like the bling of the necklaces and earrings, that's not a problem. The problem for me is that my ears aren't pierced. Do the earrings really matter? or do they just complete the look? Does the jewelry even matter? Also, would a ponytail be ok? I mean I know that my number shouldn't be hidden but my hair is only shoulder length (only by an inch or inch and a half). Would it be ok if it down but pulled back out of my face? For the belt buckle does it matter if it isn't the latest style? Does the belt have to be leather and brown/black? Sorry for so many questions. I just don't want to go out there looking like a complete newbie (which I am when it comes to showing) but with a donkey, I may as well be odd every other way!:lol:

spurstop 09-14-2012 08:20 PM

Do the earrings really matter? Or do they just complete the look? Does the jewelry even matter?
-- Get clip-ons. They do complete the look.

Also, would a ponytail be ok? I mean I know that my number shouldn't be hidden but my hair is only shoulder length (only by an inch or inch and a half). Would it be ok if it down but pulled back out of my face?
-- For showmanship, you should have your hair in a bun. Your hair has to be really short to be left down.

For the belt buckle does it matter if it isn't the latest style? Does the belt have to be leather and brown/black?
-- Plain belt in a color matching your boots, just like regular fashion.

LeighLovesLongears 09-14-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurstop (Post 1683831)
Do the earrings really matter? Or do they just complete the look? Does the jewelry even matter?
-- Get clip-ons. They do complete the look.

Also, would a ponytail be ok? I mean I know that my number shouldn't be hidden but my hair is only shoulder length (only by an inch or inch and a half). Would it be ok if it down but pulled back out of my face?
-- For showmanship, you should have your hair in a bun. Your hair has to be really short to be left down.

For the belt buckle does it matter if it isn't the latest style? Does the belt have to be leather and brown/black?
-- Plain belt in a color matching your boots, just like regular fashion.

Thanks! Now I have to practice making a bun and find clip on earrings!:-)

spurstop 09-15-2012 08:16 PM

Most department stores should carry them. (Macy's, Dillard's, etc.)

LeighLovesLongears 09-16-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurstop (Post 1684776)
Most department stores should carry them. (Macy's, Dillard's, etc.)

Great! Thanks! I've mostly been looking online and I forgot all about the stores that carry them.:oops:

xJumperx 09-17-2012 08:09 PM

A few questions ...

Is this an NASMA show? If so, what's the rating?

If it's not a NASMA show, I think you'll be fine with just the pony tail and regular belt. You won't even need the necklace. For NASMA C rated shows, Probably the same, minus the pony tail - anything NASMA and you'll need a bun.

Now, for the NASMA A rated, we've got a totally different story.
Braided bun, with bobby pins and hairspray. As for the belt, you will need something that matches your boots, which won't clash with your outfit. (I personally hate brown boots and white showmanship clothes.) You will need a belt buckle IF your shirt is to be tucked in. If you have a formal Showmanship shirt/outfit, then you want to leave your shirt untucked, and no belt buckle. You don't even need a belt. If you tuck it in, you'll need a belt and buckle. Nice and clean, too.

As for jewelry, I went to the NASMA National Championship with no jewelry at all and did well. I don't see the need for it :)

Please let me know! I loved showing NASMA Donkeys and Mules, and would love to hear about others :)

LeighLovesLongears 09-18-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumperx (Post 1687322)
A few questions ...

Is this an NASMA show? If so, what's the rating?

If it's not a NASMA show, I think you'll be fine with just the pony tail and regular belt. You won't even need the necklace. For NASMA C rated shows, Probably the same, minus the pony tail - anything NASMA and you'll need a bun.

Now, for the NASMA A rated, we've got a totally different story.
Braided bun, with bobby pins and hairspray. As for the belt, you will need something that matches your boots, which won't clash with your outfit. (I personally hate brown boots and white showmanship clothes.) You will need a belt buckle IF your shirt is to be tucked in. If you have a formal Showmanship shirt/outfit, then you want to leave your shirt untucked, and no belt buckle. You don't even need a belt. If you tuck it in, you'll need a belt and buckle. Nice and clean, too.

As for jewelry, I went to the NASMA National Championship with no jewelry at all and did well. I don't see the need for it :)

Please let me know! I loved showing NASMA Donkeys and Mules, and would love to hear about others :)

I wish it was an NASMA show! Sadly my donkeys aren't able to be registered because they don't come from registered stock. They can however be registered with the ACOSA, I just haven't sent in the paper work yet. This show is just local show and benefits one of the local shelters. Great! I just didn't want to look to simple thus place lower because of it. So I should just try it without all the fancy stuff of the National championship level? I'm not really going for a win at this one, just the experience and to get our feet wet. But I would love to win! I have been known to get kind of competitive.:-)

xJumperx 09-21-2012 09:43 PM

That's great!!! :)

That's weird that the Donkeys have to be out of Reg. stock. With the Mules you didn't even need to know the dam/sire. Huh. Anyway, yep, you'll be good for show :)
Just for kicks, here is a pic of me all decked out in my Tulsa outfit :p

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...psfc24ee7a.jpg

2nd out of 6 in this class :) Sorry, my paranoia set in and I had to pixelate my wonderful smile :p

Do tell us how your show goes!!

LeighLovesLongears 09-21-2012 11:21 PM

Hmm I had looked into a miniature donkey registration and they had to be registered for that association so I automatically thought they had to come from registered stock. But now I'm going to go check into that!