The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Who else is allergic to hay? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/who-else-allergic-hay-137667/)

BubblesBlue 09-14-2012 09:01 PM

Who else is allergic to hay?

I hope I'm not the only one. :lol:

Out of my family, I am the most allergic to hay however. If I get a single cut from hay, I break out into red welts. Also when ever I work with it I can't stop sneezing.

Who else is allergic to hay? Doesn't it suck to have horses and deal with hay?

BarrelWannabe 09-14-2012 09:17 PM

Me! Drives me crazy!

My eyes swell like crazy and I get all blotchy and sneeze like I'm gonna die. Lol.

It seems worse when I mess with round bales. Squares are fine but round bales are horrible.

Lockwood 09-14-2012 09:31 PM

Me. Big time!
While the rashes are terrible, it's the sinus problems I really struggle with. If I don't wear a bandana or mask while getting or stacking hay I'll get massive sinus infection the next day. Like... have to go the to Dr to get the good meds to be able to even get out of bed and function, sick.

I started taking allergy meds year around, and because all I have is round bales this year, which I have to fork hay off of for many animals, I faithfully wear my bandanas. Pretty bright colors too, and as soon as I'm done with chore time, in I go to wash my face and rinse my eyes, without fail.

I still struggle, but it has helped quite a bit.

busysmurf 09-14-2012 11:01 PM

UMMM, HELLOOO I CAN'T BREATH OVER HERE,LOL!!!!!

I suppose also being seriouslyallergic to horses, dust, pollen, trees, flowers, dogs, cats....doesn't help much either, huh? The things I don't put up with to ride, hahaha

corgi 09-19-2012 04:15 PM

I get the worst rash from it. If it touches bare skin, I break out in the ugliest, nastiest red bumpy rash. It lasts about 12 hours then disappears.

MN Tigerstripes 09-19-2012 04:18 PM

Hay and dust both drive me nuts. More than once I've wondered why someone who doesn't spend so much time with horses didn't get my allergy!

jaydee 09-19-2012 04:35 PM

Hay and grass will do it for me. If a horse licks me I get a rash so I have to wear rubber gloves for groomung and barn chores

Lockwood 09-19-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 1689651)
Hay and grass will do it for me. If a horse licks me I get a rash so I have to wear rubber gloves for groomung and barn chores

Oh wow! I'm able to touch grass and hay with my hands ok, but get rashes on my arms and legs. I can't even imagine breaking out from it in saliva.
Ouch!

Sharpie 09-19-2012 10:46 PM

Dust and alfalfa kill me. No real issue with the grass hay, but I get itchy red oozy welts wherever alfalfa scratches me. Thankfully my guy does okay on just grass!

WickedNag 09-20-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corgi (Post 1689625)
I get the worst rash from it. If it touches bare skin, I break out in the ugliest, nastiest red bumpy rash. It lasts about 12 hours then disappears.

That is what happens to my daughter. She is fine as long as she doesn't touch it.