The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   ugh, thrush! [venting, not asking advice] (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/ugh-thrush-%5Bventing-not-asking-advice%5D-137738/)

blue eyed pony 09-15-2012 04:08 PM

ugh, thrush! [venting, not asking advice]

If it's not one thing it's something else at the moment! We've had some unusually wet weather lately and with it, all four horses on our property have had thrush, plus a friend's horse two doors down.

My gelding has pretty shocking feet to begin with, walls that chip and crack the moment they're a few millimetres on the longish side... his soles are nice and hard, though his heels are underrun and I don't know how to fix them. Will be asking the mother for help on that one I think, she's the real hoof trimmer in the family and has rehabbed various hoof problems despite the fact that all her knowledge is from experience and a 2 day clinic.

My filly was the first one that showed it up by suddenly going dog lame on her off hind (no sign of it beforehand). Within days the others all had smelly thrushy feet as well, but nobody else went lame. Picking up said filly's feet can be difficult, mind, so she might have been incubating it for some time. I haven't had her very long. She's still a bit lame on hard or rocky ground, but considering the state her frog's in I'm not surprised.

Currently, we have, between us and a friend, 5 horses... and TWO are rideable. My gelding and the friend's half-Arab pony. Out of the 5:

one mare has something going on where she all but throws herself on the ground the moment you touch her mouth under saddle, but is fine on the ground
one gelding has a swollen sheath from an insect bite (friend's pony)
one filly is lame from the damage that thrush has done to her offside hind
other filly has a snotty nose (we're talking thick opaque yellow/green)
and other gelding is a-ok except for some rainrot scabs on the backs of his hind legs and a couple where the girth goes

only one of us can ride with a saddle at the moment and that one of us is not me! Needless to say, I'm too lazy to ride bareback every single time I ride, so I go without quite a lot... would rather work with my unbroke slightly dangerous TB filly than ride my safe finished event horse bareback!

I'm just sick of something happening (or in this case multiple somethings) every time we bring a new horse onto the property... ugh!

MyBoyPuck 09-15-2012 06:40 PM

World keeps spinning...it'll get better....someday.

horseOlantern 09-15-2012 06:49 PM

How frustrating! I hope everybody is back to normal soon. It's so aggravating when everything goes wrong at once.

blue eyed pony 09-16-2012 04:43 AM

haha yeah, thankfully Monty's scabs are all but gone so I should be able to ride with a saddle again soon. He has a few on his hind legs but they don't feel rainrot-ish, they feel different...

Magic's still quite lame, which is frustrating because she's just been learning about trotting in-hand... goodness me she's such a smart filly, the things she picks up in the space of 5 minutes that she remembers...

walkinthewalk 09-16-2012 09:50 AM

There are times when "if I had a duck it would drown" applies. I own that phrase - lollol

Lately I have been saying, I no longer have a barn. I am running a Skilled Nursing Facility for horses. There is some THING wrong with all four of them; the two metabolic horses the most serious - as in life-threatening serious.

It gets frustrating, excruciating and time consuming when more than one horse is involved.

It sounds as if your horses are on your own property. Just think how much worse it could be if you have to load all your ancillaries in the truck and drive to them:-(

Hopefully things will get better sooner than later --- before your checkbook is drained, your nerves are frazzled and your Afterburners have long-since run out of power.

And don't say "I don't EVER want to go thru this again" because I can promise that you will.

It's tough but try to maintain some semblance of humor so your hair doesn't fall out and you don't turn into an alcoholic:lol:

blue eyed pony 09-17-2012 08:25 AM

Well, I FINALLY stuck a saddle on boofhead's back and actually RODE instead of bumming around bareback. Beyond pleased that I'm finally back in the saddle.

Magic's going great guns, still lame though... and her feet are improving so I'm starting to wonder if it's not the thrush after all. I do have to call the vet for teeth/drenching soon anyway, but I want to get my 18th out of the way first if I can (that's just over 2 weeks away, and I should say PAID FOR first, the vet can come the day after it's all paid up for all I care!) because it will be an expensive party. My horses, of course, come first, but the teeth/drenching is not an urgent thing at this stage, I'm just hoping that this lameness thing doesn't MAKE it urgent. Needs to be done, doesn't need to be done RIGHT NOW. My gelding should have his teeth seen to as well, he's overdue, but he's not acting like they're a problem and Mum had a feel in there a few weeks ago and he was ok.

The friend's gelding's swelling is gone, but the mare is getting worse, and the snotty-nosed filly is going to have to see the vet soon (thank goodness she's my mother's!)... these horses are really going to break the bank!

I am at this stage praying that if my horses get whatever this snotty-nose thing is, it doesn't last long, because I have a show in 6 weeks...

graceunderpressure 09-24-2012 02:16 PM

Ugh! I have had a similar summer.. something always comes up. We were on a really great track for a couple of weeks--and now she's thrown a shoe (for the 8030th time), developed some thrush and is feeling really moody. That moody thing especially gets me--baby, just be nice to me!! Sometimes it can just be so disheartening. Ah well, one day at a time. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

blue eyed pony 09-25-2012 10:14 AM

Now Magic's gone backwards, is still lame, AND is starting to develop the snotty nose... ugh! Will one thing go right for once in my life?! hahahahaha

I'm hanging out for summer when all the cold and flu viruses go dormant, and the land dries up enough that thrush is very rare if it happens at all...