The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Without an Indoor Riding Arena ... How do you do it??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/without-indoor-riding-arena-how-do-13774/)

Jubilee Rose 08-23-2008 12:14 AM

Without an Indoor Riding Arena ... How do you do it???

I'm a little worried about this winter. We don't have an indoor arena at the barn where I board, and I don't know what I'm going to do about riding. I've been working a lot with my horse this spring and summer and I don't want all the work I've put in to be wasted. Last winter I wasn't able to ride much at all and it sucked. I guess there's nothing I can really do. But what do you guys do??

Thanks!

PoptartShop 08-23-2008 12:49 AM

Well, at my old barn we didn't have an outdoor arena. We still rode though- I ride all-yr long. :D You should still be able to ride, but I wouldn't ride on like, SUPER cold days or anything. I think you'll be fine! Just bundle up, lol. :lol:

mell 08-23-2008 01:27 AM

i've never had an arena of any sort lol.
she should be fine i think :)

Vidaloco 08-23-2008 10:01 AM

I used to live in Michigan so I know winter are tough in your area. Can you get the outdoor arena scraped of snow? That would increase the amount of riding you could do.
For just the cold, we ride as long as my fingers don't freeze :wink:

Spyder 08-23-2008 10:04 AM

I don't have an arena either. My horse rests.

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-23-2008 10:37 AM

I'm in the same boat as Spider. Tho being in Arkansas our winters do have some nice days.

iridehorses 08-23-2008 02:15 PM

When I lived in PA we trail rode all year 'round even in snow and cold. The only time I didn't was in a real rain storm or when the temp got in the mid teens.

As we used to say 'Cowboy up"

It's a lot easier in SC!

moomoo 08-23-2008 02:44 PM

We don't have an arena, we borrow an out door one. Hack down the road in the dark with all your flashy lights on and school for a while, then hack back :lol: safe

Sissimut-icehestar 08-23-2008 05:07 PM

i do have an access to an indoor arena, but i prefer working outside.. i´ll only not ride outside when the snow is that special kind of wet where it builds really much up in the hoofs or when it´s crazy windy weather.. frost doesn´t bother me one bit

jerseypacer 08-26-2008 09:44 PM

As long as the ground isnt rock hard I ride outside. If we have a stretch of bad weather or ice/snow, I find an indoor and rent it for an hr or so and split the cost with friends who also want to ride. Lots of places will rent their indoor, you just have to look around or ask.