The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   How to Know if a Horse Will be Good in Barrels? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/how-know-if-horse-will-good-137748/)

poundinghooves 09-15-2012 06:10 PM

How to Know if a Horse Will be Good in Barrels?

I'm buying a horse I can do barrels with. Nothing super competitive but I'd still like to win every once in a while :lol:. Now, I can not afford to buy a finished barrel horse or even a started one really. Any tips on how to know if a horse could have the potential to be a good barrel horse? I can only afford one more horse. What if I get one and find out later on it hates to run or something? I'm really scared/excited about making that final purchase. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ps I have another thread with horses I'm interested in. Maybe you experienced barrel racers could take a look and tell me which one may have the potential?

AbsitVita 09-16-2012 01:01 AM

http://www.sunrisewest.com/images/RJ0324sMod550x425.jpg

http://www.circledhorses.com/Corona%20Cartel.JPG

**Bigger horses "usually" have a harder time...especially in smaller pens..so NO

What I look for in a horse is:
1. Well muscled forearms
2.nice sloping shoulder
3. higher neck tie in
4.medium length back
5.strong muscular sloped croup
6.strong gaskins
7.hocks in between post legged and sickled hocked
8.correct knees
9.medium to long neck

What I stay away from
1.low neck tie in
2. short back
3.overly long back
4.Straight hocks
5.bad knees
6.weak flat croup
7.bad pastern angles

**I AM NOT THE AUTHOR OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION
The preceding was posted at this link: Barrel horse conformation

beau159 09-16-2012 10:06 PM

How to Know if a Horse Will be Good in Barrels?

You don't.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it's the truth. Yes, there are things you can look for to increase the chances the horse will excel at barrels (such as the conformation tips above, or bloodlines), but there's no way to predict what's really going to happen.

Some say barrel racing is "the constant search for a faster horse". And some say you can train 10 horses to run barrels and maybe one of them will turn out to be "the one". I believe there's truth to both of those.

Don't worry if the horse decides he/she doesn't like barrels. Or isn't fast enough to win. Or whatever. Because there's really nothing you can do about it, besides buying a finished proven horse (which you stated you can't afford ... most people can't, myself included).

barrelbeginner 09-20-2012 02:04 AM

Agreed with the above posters.. I found a horse.. Not the best confo. but the heart.. IS he going to make it to the NFR.. NOO.. but works for small competitions..

Look for a horse with a combo of HEART/willingness to do what is asked.. and confo.. IMO. if you get what im saying LOL

1RedHorse 09-20-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsitVita (Post 1685083)
[IMG]http://www.sunrisewest.com/images/RJ0324sMod550x425.

What I look for in a horse is:
1. Well muscled forearms
2.nice sloping shoulder
3. higher neck tie in
4.medium length back
5.strong muscular sloped croup
6.strong gaskins
7.hocks in between post legged and sickled hocked
8.correct knees
9.medium to long neck

What I stay away from
1.low neck tie in
2. short back
3.overly long back
4.Straight hocks
5.bad knees
6.weak flat croup
7.bad pastern angles

**I AM NOT THE AUTHOR OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION
The preceding was posted at this link: Barrel horse conformation

I knew I recognized that post LOL.
You quoted me...:and I stand by what I said 2 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

AbsitVita 09-20-2012 03:48 PM

1RedHorse, I hope you aren't upset. I did a notification at the bottom stating I was not the author....

1RedHorse 09-20-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsitVita (Post 1690904)
1RedHorse, I hope you aren't upset. I did a notification at the bottom stating I was not the author....

Not at all!!! I was like "hmmmm thy looks familiar" then I clicked on the link LOL

Back to the OP you never really know. You can pick out the est bred....best conformed horse and they can be a dud. But breeding and conformation increases the chances the horse will turn out nicely.
One of the best barrel horses I ever rode was a black grade gelding that came off a feedlot.
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 09-23-2012 12:14 PM

I'd agree with you just dOnt know...

I'll have to find a picture, but Mango was a 1D horse and was the horse that really got me into barrels. He was a big gentle giant and didn't mind running the pattern at a slow lope for my beginner self:) by looking at him, you would never guess he was good at anything. He had a funky neck, long back, a weird hind quarter...sure being 21 probably took a small toll on his looks, but he just looked like a weird mutt:P He was actually well bred, was just two generations away from Go Man Go.(kinda wish you could find that bloodline now adays..)

It's been a few years since he is passed, and I really wish I had been more competitive with him. That horse had HEART and loved his job. I'll have to find a picture of him...

AbsitVita 09-23-2012 08:32 PM

Mango, the ones I saw of him on your profile page made me think of my Hopper, a TB/Welsh pony I rode growing up. He was good at barrel racing and we won several blue, reserve champ and grand champ ribbons in the local shows! He will always be my favorite horse of all time, sadly I don't have any pics of him and he passed away at the ripe age of 34, several years ago.

MangoRoX87 09-24-2012 01:42 AM

Mango passed away at 21, certainly in his prime...he had choking complications, vet screwed up MAJORLY. Mango suffocated on his own blood. Not something I was exactly wanting to happen on Thanksgiving.:(

I always exhibitioned on him, running 16s without really pushing it. On the poles he was just a DREAM. He had a crazy smooth canter and hit the lead changes dead on. Our end poles were a little wonky but I'm to blame for that.

I always wish I had gone more competitive with him and got serious about barrels while I had the chance. You don't see stuff like that coming...my computer with HUNDREDS of photos and videos of him..crashed violently lol. I really wish I could get them off. In an odd way, it would kind of be closure for me.

Okay sad story over for the day. Lol