The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Cracks (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-cracks-137765/)

MissStormy 09-15-2012 08:48 PM

Hoof Cracks

So. I just got this new horse. She's in such poor condition! She had terrible feet and I got her feet trimmed about 2 or 3 weeks ago..
I noticed today that she has this crack in the middle of her hoof. I'm not really sure how to explain it but it's literally cut from the side all the way to the other side but it's still hanging on.. Did that make sense:shock: :-| Haaha. On her other hoof it's just a long crack.
It's like a tear in the middle of her hoof going all the way to the side and then it stops and it's just hanging on.
Is there anything I should do to help? Such as wrapping it?

MyBoyPuck 09-15-2012 09:18 PM

Have a farrier evaluate it ASAP. If it's as severe as you describe, it needs to be addressed in person.

barrelbeginner 09-15-2012 09:24 PM

Do you have pictures?

themacpack 09-15-2012 09:49 PM

Pictures would be very helpful, but if it's anywhere near what you seem to be describing you need to have the farrier out, yesterday.

loosie 09-17-2012 06:48 AM

Sounds like a bad abscess split, that would have been there but perhaps a lot less noticeable before yesterday. But as others have said, need pics at least to do more than guess & if it's suddenly a lot worse, agree that getting a farrier back asap wouldn't go astray. What did the farrier say about her feet 2 weeks ago? Got pics of then? Check out the link below if you need tips on good critique pics.

MissStormy 09-17-2012 05:42 PM

I don't have any pictures.. :-(
When we first got her, her hoofs were all cracked and uneven. Her last owner claimed to be a farrier. She took classes on line??? I don't think I have any pictures available of her hoofs back then either.. -.-

We did contact my farrier! He will be coming to check her out. :D On the bright side, It doesn't seem like it's bothering her any. She can walk on it just fine. I think she just has a thin hoof wall. I don't really have shoes on her.