The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique $500 former polo pony--possible buy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-%24500-former-polo-pony-possible-137790/)

mac007 09-16-2012 12:05 AM

Critique $500 former polo pony--possible buy

I'm not really fully in the market for a horse in the sense that I'm not actively searching but this guy came up and he seems too cute to pass up! I'll at least take a look at him!

The ad is very straightforward:
Excellent walk/trot hack horse--not for beginner.
12-14 years old, 15.1hh buckskin gelding
Sound, UTD with vet and farrier. Great to handle, bathe, etc--lovely ground manners.
Would like to place before winter.

I want to do hunter/jumper and some dressage. Maybe a few shows here and there but I'd be okay with low level competition. He seems very cute to me, but I know nothing of conformation. What do you all think? Worth a look?

imgur: the simple image sharer
http://i.imgur.com/0Z28E.jpg

Peppy Barrel Racing 09-16-2012 02:29 AM

I'm not good at critiquing I'm still learning. But he looks nice enough to look at for $500 bucks. He looks pretty porportionant and I like his hip and his stoutness and buckskin is my favorite color :-). The only thing I dislike is I can't see his back and withers cause of the saddle and I don't like the shape of his neck, I'm sure there is a conformational term for it. But I say see him in person a check him out look for joint issues that could of been caused from his polo days.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 09-16-2012 02:41 AM

You can't really tell anything from these pictures..Need him squared up, untacked, flat ground, from each side and then front/back.

Regula 09-16-2012 06:42 AM

I'm rubbish at judging conformation, but he looks cute.
The only thing is that I'd get a very thorough PPE to make sure he's sound - my friend buys retired polo ponies for polocrosse, and I have yet to see one that stays sound long term...
You might end up putting a multiple of your $500 investment into vet bills.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 09-18-2012 08:19 AM

Images won't come up.

QOS 09-18-2012 08:45 AM

I couldn't see the images.

mac007 09-18-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 1687763)
Images won't come up.

OOPS here they are: Photo Album - Imgur

Tryst 09-19-2012 09:09 AM

He has a cute face and love his color. The things that jump out at me are he has extremely short and upright pasterns and his Neck ties in quite low and is on the shorter side. The neck not too much of a concern for lower level stuff, but the pasterns concern me more. I like his substance and he has a kind face. Might be a little straight in the rear, but the photo isn't great for his hind end. Shoulder appears fairly upright to me too.

I would not have pegged him as a polo pony - looks more quarter horse to me! Also curious why the ad lists him as a walk/trot horse only. A polo pony should know how to canter too. I would wonder about soundness based on that alone (coupled with his sport and build) and STRONGLY suggest a PPE even though he is a cheaper horse. Polo horses have a lot of twisting, turning, and abrupt halts while playing on top of wooden mallets being swung by their legs- soundness is always a concern.

I think he is worth a look, but go in with a realistic perspective that he will need a lot of retraining for your interests and he sounds like he might be a little hot and possibly not 100% sound.