The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   New pigs and 2 sows. (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/new-pigs-2-sows-137800/)

Debbiesgypsy 09-16-2012 03:56 AM

New pigs and 2 sows.

I was shopping around Craigslist yesterday and seen a add for 1 sow with 6 pigs and 1 sow with 11 pigs for a grand total off 19 pigs. So today i brought all 19 home. The are a little under weight do to the fact they were being fed weeds and scraps. I Don't think they know what hog grower Pellets are. But by tonight they were starting to nibble on it. I think they will really love it once they get used to being fed a good food and daily. So my questions are. What do you use for wormer and what shots do you give your fine swine friends. I will upload pics later on the other PC this PC is so slow it will take for ever.

Thanks

Debbiesgypsy 09-16-2012 01:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK folks here is a couple pics. the girls are getting used to the place and have calmed down. I got a lady coming to look at the 2 sows and i hope she takes them home with her.

FeatheredFeet 09-18-2012 12:45 PM

You are very naughty. Everyone knows you must never browse on CL!

Be careful. Some sows with piglets can be very, very dangerous. Are you going to bring the piglets up to butcher? If not, you'll need to fix the boys or you'll find yourself as the largest pig farmer in Washington.

Don't know about worming these days.

Love your piggies though. When I was very young, I worked on a pig farm as part of my farm training. I also had to work on a dairy farm and a mink farm. I suspect they don't have many mink farms these days.

Lizzie

Debbiesgypsy 09-18-2012 01:03 PM

I wormed them with Wazin Swine and chicken wormer. Just dump in water and let it go to work. I know they have a worm load as today they are passing dead worms. The second sow is thin and now that she has been wormed she should put on some weight. I think i might have the sows sold. so that will give my most of my investment back. And the neighbor wants 4 of the wieners. I think i am going to keep 4 or 5 of the pigs to raise for meat. I have family that loves my fresh pork and think its the best pork they have ever had, and they are all like put me down for a whole pig.

The second sow is very aggressive over her pigs. She has the i will kill you if you touch my babies attitude. I will be glade to get her moved on down the road.

Debbiesgypsy 09-20-2012 11:09 AM

So as you know i wormed them on Monday. I used the liquid Wazine active ingredient is Piperazine. Do you think it would hurt to hit them again in a week. On the bottle it just says to use every 30 days. Does not say any thing about a second dose. I know these little pigs had a heavy worm load. As since i wormed them Monday i have seen some gross things come out of these pigs.

The good news is since they have been here i can see a big change in the weaner pigs. They look full and are starting to look healthy. Its really amazing how fast they bounce back.

Plains Drifter 09-20-2012 11:16 AM

We need more pictures!

Debbiesgypsy 09-23-2012 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well i kept the red sow. And i think she is coming into heat or season what ever you call it in a sow. So i went and picked up a boar yesterday. He is as gentle as a puppy. Loves to be scratched and likes his back rubs. I have named him Tiny for now. I will take him back to the sale next Saturday. But thought you might like a picture of Tiny. I will try to get some better pics of him today if the sun comes out and the rain stops.