The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best changeable gullet English saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-changeable-gullet-english-saddle-137830/)

Sunnylucy 09-16-2012 12:46 PM

Best changeable gullet English saddle?

Trying to fit a skinny high-withered thoroughbred. Don't want to have keep changing saddles when he hopefully puts on some weight and muscle, so I was thinking the changeable gullets might work.
I have seen Bates Carrilli with Cair panels, but wondered if the cair panels are good and any other brands with changeable gullets that someone can recommend or say definitely no!
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

gigem88 09-16-2012 03:17 PM

I have had (and still do) the Wintecs with CAIR and love, love love them! My current saddle is the Isabell dressage and love that one too.

Sunnylucy 09-16-2012 03:26 PM

I've seen some Wintecs, would the 500 model be good? Or if you don't mind my asking, what style/model have you liked? I'm looking to find a used saddle so older models would probably still be available used.

gigem88 09-16-2012 05:35 PM

I had a 500, but it was a little too big so I sold it and splurged on the Isabell. It has a deeper seat which is a good fit for me. I've also had the stock saddle which I really loved, but decided to do some showing so it had to go. If you could find a tack shop that sells them and go sit in a few, it might give you a better idea what fits you. Ebay or tacktrader.com are good places to look for used tack!

Sunnylucy 09-16-2012 05:50 PM

Thank you so much for your help and info. Its exhaustive looking and the choices to make! I think i have a better focus now.

myhorsesonador 09-16-2012 06:09 PM

I had a wintec Jump saddle, and looovveeddd it.

Just remember that even though you can change saddle a bit, it still might not fit all horses.

Sunnylucy 09-16-2012 06:19 PM

I think the easiest part is finding the horse, all the stuff needed is hard work, so many options. Thank you for your advice.

Sharpie 09-16-2012 07:16 PM

I've ridden the Wintec AP 500 and AP 2000, actually have the 2000 but prefer the 500. They're nice durable saddles and the gullets are easy enough to deal with. Not fancy, but have been plenty good enough for the basic dressage, jumping and trail riding I do. :)

Sunnylucy 09-16-2012 08:00 PM

The 500 seems to be popular, and it does help that the gullets are easy to change. I'm really just need a good saddle for flat work and trails maybe if he shows an interest just some smaller jumps. Thanks for your help

Shropshirerosie 09-16-2012 08:10 PM

Is have the Fieldhouse GFS and am really happy with it. I have had occasion to change the gullet with my Fat-thin-fat mare, and I am now expecting it to fit to my new boy, so yes I do recommend it highly.