The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   How do I get over my fear of the dentist?! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/how-do-i-get-over-my-137837/)

i love my arab 09-16-2012 02:00 PM

How do I get over my fear of the dentist?!

Hey guys today is sunday and I am going to the dentist on wedesnday afternoon. I am dreading it with all my heart! :cry: I am a teenager. When I was a baby, I had spinal meningitas (sorry for the spelling) and I was given a medicine that had weakened my teeth but was necessary to save my life. Now almost every single time I visit the dentist every 6 months, I have several cavities. I brush my teeth twice a day with sensodyne for 3 minutes. I floss between every tooth. I rinse with flouride mouthwash for 3 minutes. And I have a normal diet. But I still manage to get cavities! :-( I absolutely HATE the dentist and whenever I hear the dentist say I have a cavity, I start to breath heavy and even tear up. It's not the novacain i fear. I just hate the drilling part. My dentist is the sweetest thing ever, VERY nice and reasuuring but still i HATE IT! So any tips on how to get over my fear? Or at least cope with it?

Also, does anyone know of any toothpastes or rinses I can use to help prevent cavities? That is extra protective? THANKS!

Foxhunter 09-16-2012 02:05 PM

I do not think that anyone likes going to the dentist! Personally the high pitched sound of the drill hurts my ears but, really nothing hurts because of modern drugs.

Try learning self hypnosis to relax yourself whilst in the chair.

Joe4d 09-16-2012 02:15 PM

talk to your dentist about both questions, They are the one to ask, maybe he can hook you up with some nitrous oxide.

SouthernTrails 09-16-2012 03:04 PM

Don't talk about the Dentist!!!!!!!!

Had a root canal done Friday ....aaaaghhhhhhhhhhhh

Back to the OP's question, there should be something the Dentist can recommend, I heard about some kind of rinse that strengthened the enamel, but cannot remember the name of it.

DancingArabian 09-16-2012 04:32 PM

It's called sedation dentistry. They load you up with Valium and a few other things and in no time you're out of it and wake up a few hours later, at home, with no memory of the visit or of your parents taking you home.

If your dentist does not do any sort of oral sedation or gas sedation, talk to your doctor and see if s/he will give you a couple of pill sedatives to get you through the visit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 09-16-2012 05:32 PM

I am not really one for drugs, but I have similar anxiety issues regarding the dentist. Now they give me valium before I go in and I no longer freak out, hyperventilate and feel like crying, fighting, or running away. Still don't like it, but I can sit there and let them do what they need to without feeling like I ran a marathon at the end of it.

gunslinger 09-16-2012 06:10 PM

Please, explain to the dentist about your fear. It's very important that you and the dentist understand each other.

If you have the talk and don't get results, then change dentist until you find one that understands and will work with you to make you comfortable.

You see, I had a fear of the dentist for a long time. Finally met one in a bar who promised me I wouldn't feel a thing. I was lucky to find this guy and he fixed all my teeth and to this very day, I actually look forward to my checkups.

Lockwood 09-16-2012 09:02 PM

I agree with the others... talk to your dentist.
I'm a dentist's worst nightmare and valium doesn't work on me what so ever, so I have learned to be very upfront about my fears.
They in turn usually write a script for a few happy pills to be taken the day of any serious work and I "wake up" much later in the day without remembering a thing.

Missy May 09-16-2012 11:28 PM

There are prescription flouride toothpastes that your dentist can perscribe - or they may sell it there.

My good friend has a phobia of dentist and they prescribe some sort of perscription drug (the entire prescription is for one pill) to take 25-30 minutes before she goes for her appointment. She says that it does help.

royalhkay 09-18-2012 04:01 AM

nitrous oxide!!

I used to have the same fears as you but after I started getting nitrous oxide when I go I dont dread going at all... I even had to get a root canal and it didn't hurt at all..

:)