The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Horse needs a job, any ideas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/horse-needs-job-any-ideas-137847/)

Outlawrox 09-16-2012 04:01 PM

Horse needs a job, any ideas?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 16 hand rescue gelding that needs a job. he's 10 years old and full of energy. i think he is a walker/quarter horse cross but it's impossible to tell with him. i've heard people suggest draft, thoroughbred, and Morgan mixes as well. the breed doesn't matter so much as whether or not there is a sport or job out there for him. i have considered reining as i am more of a Western rider, but i'm open to English options too. is there any sport he would be good at based off of his physical build? he's got big feet and blocky knees with a deep chest that narrows at the front like a Walker. i posted a picture of him with this thread.
i keep him at a local barn. i have access to an arena with western and English equipment as well as dozens of miles of trails.

please feel free to give me some selections or advice with him. there's no wrong answers here and i appreciate all input as Phantom really needs something to work on.

EthanQ 09-16-2012 04:20 PM

Jumping, Barrel racing, and if there is cattle available anywhere play with them! haha and there is always trick training.

aforred 09-16-2012 04:23 PM

Gathering cattle is a good job for lots of horses. Trail riding is, too. There's nothing wrong with giving each horse several jobs, either. They tend to be happiest.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 09-16-2012 05:04 PM

Play around with everything until HE picks one he likes the best :) I taught my mare lots of different things, basic barrels, poles, pulling work, and several other odd ball things. But she enjoys trail riding and herding small animals the best; so that's what we concentrate on.

Saddlebag 09-16-2012 09:56 PM

I see ranch horse written all over him. Built for roping, etc.

sinsin4635 09-16-2012 11:31 PM

Nothing wrong with just some good ol trail ridin.