The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   What Kind of Bits do yall use (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/what-kind-bits-do-yall-use-137853/)

BackwoodsBaby 09-16-2012 05:50 PM

What Kind of Bits do yall use

what kind of bits do yall use for barrel racing? and whats the best bit for barrel racing, ive heard a combination bit or a o ring snaffle?

DrumRunner 09-16-2012 06:02 PM

It's not really what bits are best for barrel racing.. It's what bit is best for your horse. Yes, there are all of the Sherry Cervi and Charmayne James bits but you don't have to use those for barrel racing. It's personal preference and what your horse responds to that will work best for you both. Each of my horses use a different bit. Nikki rides in a snaffle combo bit, Lark is in a hack combo bit, and Hickory is in a Jr Cowhorse..

BubblesBlue 09-16-2012 06:03 PM

I use a Sherry Cervi twisted dogbone for my mare Heidi. She is really picky about them.

I think the bit really depends on the horse, not the event.

BarrelRacer23 09-16-2012 07:26 PM

Whatever bit works best for your horse is good for barrels. Link runs in a little s hackamore and Heart goes in a medium shanked double jointed reining bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 09-16-2012 08:34 PM

I ride in a different bit then what I train, tune, drill, run, and ride in. I don't like using the same bit while just riding (unless trying a new bit) because they "get to know" the bit and its ways, then if you have a sneaky horse they will wait till you go to run to flip you the hoof.

JJ
Riding- Easy 5
Tuning- Long Shank Twisted w/ low port Charmayne James lifter
Drills- Short Shank Pozzi 3 piece
Running- Short Shank Twisted Sherry Cervi

Scrat-
Riding- Banana Bit
Training- Banana Bit or Long Shank Twisted Charmayne James lifter
Tuning/Drills- Banana Bit
Running- Long Shank Twisted Charmayne James Lifter

Polly
Riding- Little S Hackamore
Training- Twisted Half Wonder
Tuning/Drills- Short Shank Twisted Sherry Cervi
Running- Little S/ Twisted Half Wonder

Right now we are trying to find the perfect bit for JJ that won't intimidate him, but won't flip me the hoof yet him know that if he tries he won't be able to test the bit.

And that is the thing about barrel racing...you can use whatever bit you want and what works for your horse. I don't pick a bit because I like it, I pick a bit that will work for me and the horse....I don't want to be fighting my horse and wasting time because the bit works yet the horse hates it....your loosing time either way so it is a lose lose situation. I want my horse to respect the bit and work with it.

SorrelHorse 09-16-2012 11:34 PM

I have many bits in my collections. Sweet sixes, Jr. Cowhorses, Loomis, Simplicitys, Carol Goosetree bits, Sherry Cervi, o ring combos, short/long shank combos, hacks etc. in a variety of mouthpieces. Partial chain, chain, twisted, twisted dogbone, smooth, smooth with rollers, billy allen, myler levels, lifesavers etc.

ALL of my horses, no matter what, get schooled in a snaffle. No questions. But for running sometimes you need a little more going at Mach 5.

Horsealot 09-27-2012 11:25 PM

At my barn, you're not allowed to train in anything but a smooth snaffle with no shanks. (Mainly because they re-train spoiled/sour barrel and gymkhana horses) My instructor trained several very nice, fast and smooth barrel horses in only a snaffle, and she never moved them up into a shank bit, even when running. I ride my gelding in a smooth, thick D-ring snaffle. But, some of my friends ride in combination bits, Sherry Cervi Bits and Martha Josey bits and beat me in races all the time. :lol:

waresbear 09-30-2012 10:15 PM

I doubt those bits have anything to do with those horse's beating your runs. I am not into speed events but I will guess those horses were trained & going smooth in a snaffle first. After that, they were put into different bits for more precision. Other members into barrel racing can correct me if I am wrong but I think this is the progression.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 09-30-2012 10:55 PM

Yes wares, that's right.

Any and all of my horses, I don't care what discipline, will train in a snaffle. After that, I will determine what bit they need for their style, and then transition them up to whatever will help them most. Once they are finished like Selena I will go ahead and ride a little more in the bigger bit, but always come back to the snaffle when I need it.

JackOfAllTrades 10-01-2012 09:04 PM

Me and my bestie barrel racer use Wonder bits, and they work great. You can use the leverage of the shank to regain control of your horse after your run, but when no pressure is applied, it is a farely mild bit.